Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

under the 2.0

started the engine pull tonight after work. 2 items. a round cover with 2 bolts is to the left and forward of the strainer cover/drain plug. it has 2 wires coming out of it,i think they maybe brown they are so greasy i could'tn tell the color for sure. i presume they may be for the oil temp gauge. my other car does'nt have wires coming out it this piece. to switch it to the motor to be installed are there any surprises lurking there i need to be aware of?

whats the deal with the fact 2.0 heat exchangers? i have previously changed over to ss on the replacement motor and swear i did not the problem of accessing the out side nuts. is there some trick with these i'm not aware of? the exchangers are in pretty good shape and i want to pull them before the engine drop.

thanks all, kevin
Old 07-31-2002, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There "should" be only one wire going up into that plate (the "taco plate" because that's what it looks like after you overtighten the retaining bolts). It's the oil temp sender wire. Just unbolt the taco plate and pull everything out--there is an upper plate that slides out, usually with a little difficulty. The upper plate is what the sender is threaded into.

New paper gasket (might make sense to just cut one out yourself; it's thin paper), new crush washers for the bolts. Possibly a new O-ring.

The stock exhaust nuts take a 13mm socket. The less-expensive aftermarket ones take a 12mm one. They're still M8 nuts, just with smaller ODs.

Try a 1/4"-drive socket. Those are usually thinner overall and seem to fit in more easily. Sometimes you have to put the socket onto the nut, then plug the extension into the socket. Sometimes a "wobble" extension helps.

I remember that it was difficult to remove the nuts the first time, because they were the stock ones. But it eventually did work out...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 08-01-2002 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-01-2002, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just removed my ss heat exch. adn make sure that you have a 1/4" drive socket with a variety of extension to give you clearance.

Also, make sure that you soak these in penetrating oil very well because when I pulled off mine, a stud came with the bolt and one downpipe only had one bolt/stud (the PO probably didn't know how to put a new stud --- he also didn't seem to knwo what "metric" meant)

Anyway, I had to make these studs out of hardened material and this is something which everyon ewould like to avoid.

Justin
Old 08-01-2002, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ah, the old 1/4 " socket trick. maybe i forgot that. on the stud turning out sooner that than the damn thing breaking off. last night a bolt that connects the flat branch tube broke during removal. ratchet smacked me in the mouth but i kept on working, what was i supposed to do? wash my hands!?. the wife came out to get me for dinner, i slid out from uder the car and my teeth looked like edward norton's in fight club (covered in blood, the office scene). i just told her i like my new car so much i'm willing to bleed for it. she did'nt quite see the humor.

oh well, kevin
Old 08-01-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I bought myself a 6" long 1/4" drive extension just for the sole purpose of removing the heat exchangers. The 3" extension didn't work quite right; the wide part at the base was just in the wrong place... The 6" one works just fine. Some of the exhaust nuts on my car require a deep socket, though, as the standard 1/4" drive ones aren't quite deep enough to grip the nut securely when it is cinched all the way down.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2002, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Kevin are you gonna make the PNW 914meet Saturday! A pic from our first meet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ek_27.jpg (38.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-02-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

only if i tow the car down. the time just wasn't there for me to get eveything done. if there's a #3 before the rainy season sets in i will be there for sure. let bleyseng take the point and get the big ticket on the speed run down. have fun.

if you folks need a recommendation for a good breakfast try " the country cousin". it's where the outlet stores are in centralia, west side of i-5. i stop there when ever i'm driving south.

kevin

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 08-02-2002 at 04:40 PM..
Old 08-02-2002, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: