Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

original keys

My 74 914 2.0 has a red key for the doors and trunk. But has a v.w. key with a black circle head with vw in the center. Are these the correct keys? Also it originaly had a leather storage pouch attached to the keys. I beleve it was red. Does anyone have one of the pouches?
79 vw rabbit
Old 07-31-2002, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Mark,
Originally, the red key would have been a "valet" key and only keyed to the ignition. A nearly-identical black key was keyed to the ignition, doors, glove box and both trunks. I think they were Porsche key blanks and not VW.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That is correct, the original keys were Porsche black and red (valet). Key blanks are still available if you want to have some made.

Mike
Old 08-01-2002, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
My 75 1.8 had the exact same key situation. I noticed that the VW key is Different from the Porsche key totally ( I could not buy a Porsche key and cut it, and the doors would not fit the VW key). I know the PO replaced the ignition switch tumbler. So I assume he bought a cheap VW one that would fit for that year.

I know the 75-76 Steering hub was a direct change with the 924 and a VW, maybe they came with two keys? I doublt it. My solution was to install a 1972 914 Steering hub ($40 used - Tumbler hub switches and everything) with tumbler and Porsche key (Direct swap if you do not have intermintant wipers), and then re-arrange the Door, Trunk, andall tumblers to match the new ignition key, then I had 3 black and 2 red Porsche keys cut.

Now my car has 1 Porsche key that works great on everything. My wife has a key and there are keys in the safe for when I need them.

I hope this helps,

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 08-01-2002, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: