Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
Help with suspension adjustments

So now that I have converted to five lug, my car handles worse. I know there is adjustments, I just need to know what to do to even it out. I have:

Front Koni adjustable struts (set to 1.25 turns out of a possible 2.25)
Rear KYB shocks with 140 progressive springs
Stock front and rear swaybars
Stock front torsion bars

Here is the problem, before the conversion I had stock sproings and KYB front struts (non adjustable) THe car handled VERY well. I pointed it somewhere and it followed. If anything during a hard turn it would tend to go straight(ish) but never bad.
Now around the same turn it feels like the rear end wants to just fly out. I have crap for tires on there now, and I know that will have a big impact, but is there anything suspension wise I should adjust or change. I dont auto-X yet, but I am a VERY spirited street driver (I like to push it to the limit no matter where I am) Ride comfort is of the least importance to me, I just don't know what to change since I changed the front AND rear charecteristics at the same time.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

what about removing the rear sway bar?
Old 08-01-2002, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Many 914 wonks (myself included) do away with the rear sway bar. The rear bar will cause the inside rear tire to come off the ground during "spirted" driving.

I have a fairly soft set up with 165# progressive springs and stock T bars at the front. Suspension tuning comes in the form of
an adjustable front sway bar and varing tire pressures.. Soften the front bar for more oversteer, stiffen for understeer.

Of course, tires of the same make and model are necessary for a meaningful base line, before you start fooling around with the suspension. Tires that are "catchable" ( good recovery of traction)rate high with me. All tires are not created equal in this regard.

Autocross is a great way to learn about the various effects
that suspension changes make. Loosing (or saving) a 914 can take up a lot of room. They tend to snap spin.......corrections can cause a serise of tank slappers which usually end up with the car
stopped and pointed in some strange direction.....that can get ugly on the street.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Seems like the back end of the car is too stiff. Loosen it up some (ditching the rear bar is a start) and/or tighten up the front. I find that the adjustable 19mm front sway bar is a good match for the 140# rear springs.

Alignment also contributes. You can try to compensate for the suspension by running more negative camber in the rear than in the front.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-01-2002, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I agree with Dave & JP...you need to either stiffen up the front end or loosen up the rear end to take out some of the oversteer.

Besides spring rates & swaybars, tire pressure makes a noticable difference as well. What pressures are you running?
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
Currently the tires at 35psi at all four corners, again on really crappy Conitental tires. Anyone have any suggestions on some good tires for the 914 (205-50-16)

Thanks
Chris
914 LOVER!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would first lower your tire pressure. for a car of that weigh around 2000lbs you have very high pressures. You may not be getting enough contact patch. I like to use around 4 psi more than the factory specs (i think they are 26psi and 29psi, front and rear)

BTW, I have pirelli p6000 and they seen to be great, though I haven't any experience with anything else so maybe you should listen to what others have to say (I am when I get new rubber).

Justin
Old 08-01-2002, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I use around the same pressures. Anything more and my teeth rattle.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: