Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Lightbulb H4 upgrade / electrical idiot

-Bought a pair of H4 lights a while back, they included the 80/100w bulbs. Also got a new high-power headlight relay.

-Downloaded and read the H4 Tech Article but there was no mention of new wiring or relay. Reading old threads, I'm not about to just plug em' in...

-If someone could provide a quick instruction it would be so gratefully appreciated!
Old 08-01-2002, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Call or email Tom (Gould) and he should be able to send or fax you a diagram for the relay.

The short version is, run a fat wire from the battery through an in-line fuse to the "source" pin (Bosch nomenclature, pin 30) on the relay. Run a ground to one of the two "switching" pins (Bosch 85 and 86), and run the old light wire to the other of the two switching pins. Run a new wire from the "output" pin (Bosch 87, NOT 87a) to each of the headlights.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-01-2002, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have never done this,

But... why do you have to go through all that headache for a relay ? Why not remove the headlights from the ignition switch or possibly just use the original power wires removed from the switch ??

The problem is: it melts the iginition switch..correct ?

B
Old 08-02-2002, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Well, then you run into possibly melting the headlight switch... See the "other Brad's" web site for a dissection of the switch.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/headlight_switch_internals.htm

I don't know if the switch will be happy with 200W of power running through it... The relay pretty much gets the ignition switch, fuse box, and headlight switch all out of the circuit. But yes, it is a bit of a pain to add the wires. It would probably be simpler to just move the wires around (though I think that would require some cutting off of connectors and crimping on of new ones, still not a huge deal).

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2002, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I think the main issue is melting the highbeam switch, not the ignition or headlamp switch. (If you're running 55/100W or 80/100 H4's you're pumping around 16A through the circuit on highbeams). Regardless, I think it's easiest and best to just wire up the relay from scratch. IIRC, all you need is a power lead direct to the battery, a switched low-amp lead somewhere from the dash, and a ground.

It's WAY more work on the 914 with the battery in the stock location, compared to a 911 with the battery a few inches from the fusebox and the headlamps!
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok,

So trigger the relay using the high beam switch.

I live in the USA and have yet to run my high beams for any longer than 15 minutes or so before I came across another car.

Is my car going to burn to the ground ?

I agree a relay should be used... but what happens if I dont ?

B
Old 08-02-2002, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: