Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brad goes to Watkins Glen (NASCAR)

Yee haw..

I got the call tonight that Justin Bell will be driving our 02 Ford Taurus in the Watkins Glen NASCAR race next weekend. I leave for the event next Wednesday.

Any New Yoker's << New York accent >> wanna hang out with a 914 guy in the Winston Cup hot pits ?? LOL

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92s.jpg (17.9 KB, 248 views)
Old 08-01-2002, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"Noo Yawkaz". The ECR was full of those dulcet tones the past two years. B, you might want to try contacting Ralf Hartmann to see if he can pass the word along to the locals.

Saw that car last night--even helped get it out of the shop! (The trailer didn't want to fit out the door with all the other cars in the way...)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2002, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I sure picked a good to time to Move to San Diego!

James

(Former Albany, NY resident and 914 horder)
Old 08-02-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pretty crazy the sponsor's payed to have the car FLOWN to North Carolina prior to the race.

Oh FYI: I'm at SSI on Thursday's and Friday's.

B
Old 08-02-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Formerly from Rochester & Buffalo (BTW: no significant accent in upstate NY where the Glen is), I've poked around at a few of the SCCA club websites, and I see that there are some 914s running in the area. Hopefully someone will get in touch. If you get a day either side of the trip, it's the perfect time of the year to visit the Finger Lakes region, maybe sample a few of the wineries (German-type whites for the most part; Standing Stone is quite good). Have fun!
Old 08-02-2002, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
You forgot Foxrun (Reserve Pinot Noir) on the west side of the lake and Lamoreaux landing (A little farther up from Standing Stone on the east side of the Lake).

The rest is plonk! Unless you like white-Zinfandel....

James
Old 08-02-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When you live 15 minutes from NAPA valley, visiting wineries is not at the top of my list...lol

Thanks for the tips. I will have a few days to burn.

B
Old 08-02-2002, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oh FYI: I'm at SSI on Thursday's and Friday's.

Yeah, we remembered that--a bit late. But it was interesting to see the shop again! I think a third of the cars are gone, and the other 2/3 are crammed into the left half of the shop... And always nice to visit Scotty and see what he's doing.

(BTW: no significant accent in upstate NY where the Glen is)

Not if you grew up there, no.... But I do agree, it's not nearly as thick as NYC or Jersey. Except for the transplants from those locales.

--DD

Old 08-02-2002, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool, does this mean I have your spot at Thunderhill??

Old 08-02-2002, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It wasnt my spot. Its Julius' spot and I was going to drive 1/2 the day.

You can go up with Butch and beg him to drive the car.

B
Old 08-02-2002, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Red-Beard, haven't had the Foxrun, but Lamoreaux gets a vote, too. True enough, though, Napa would definitely spoil you... it worked on me in one day. I'm sure there will be enough car stuff to keep you more than entertained. I flew over the race track two years ago at about 1,500 feet in a Piper Super Cub on floats (took off from neighboring Keuka Lake). In the Cub you sit one behind the other and can drop down the side doors for a great view, like a flying Jeep, and cruise at about 70. Just as we were above the last two turns before the main straight (not sure what they're called, a high speed 45 deg. left followed by a 90 deg right) a red 911 slid off the right side of the road, over-corrected, came back towards a guard rail, and spun to a stop about a foot (a guess altitude!) from it. That guy must have needed a new pair of shorts.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
"First ya Say it, then ya do it!"

Yeah Foxrun. You need to get to that one and try the reserve Pinot noir. It's not far from Glenora, but a little south.

James
Old 08-02-2002, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Heh... I remember the following chant that one place taught everyone in their tasting room:

"Bully Hill is wine.
Bully Hill is wine.
Bully Hill is wine.
Napa is auto parts!!"

I'd say they were just a bit jealous...

--DD

Old 08-02-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I cant wait to drink "merican beer" Miller Lite, Budweiser and the such.

Got off the phone with Justin tonight after discussing his Leman win with his father Derek a few years back and chatting about his driving school at the Moroso motorsports park.

Neat guy, we got along well especially after I told him how I met his father, stepbrother and step mom at a ALMS catered lunch back in 2000.

I was standing in the food line and Derek quickly introduces himself to me and asks me to hold his kid while he runs back to get his team Audi credentials...lol so.. here I am holding Derek Bells kid when his wife walks up seperate from Derek and sees me holding her kid. Derek was in trouble when he got back, but we all sat down and ate lunch with Don Panoz laughing about it.

Funny thing: I recall Don Panoz walking up to our table with a plate of food and asking me if he could sit with us. I'm thinking (and said it) um.. Mr. Panoz you can sit where ever you want. He laughed and we proceeded to chat about the TV coverage and package that NBC had signed with him.

Those where the days. Catered breakfast/lunch/dinners at all the ALMS races for the factory backed teams and their members.

B
Old 08-02-2002, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: