Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
More of that Crazy Crazy E-bay!

If only it were truely possible.

How can someone call a car a restoration when they add in all sorts of options that were never available. Does this guy really think someone will pay $18,000 for the car? For $18K, I can get a 914/6 in as good condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848623673

James
Old 08-03-2002, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Gawd, what a "pimpmobile". I dunno if I could drive that at the autox....
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 08-03-2002, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

does'nt even mention displacement of engine. that "new, not rebuilt crate, engine" must be a dandy after sitting in a wherehouse for about 30 years. toyota red, a "total retstoration" and they don't bother to match the paint codes.i'll bet the carpeted trunks cover the original paint. i wonder if sellers ever come here and see their cars getting ripped apart, or if potential buyer's come here and run for the hills. i like the first bid, this is one to watch. hi geoff.

kevin
Old 08-03-2002, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'd buy it for $914.00

Seriously though. If I was looking to spend that much on a Porsche, it would be a (dare I say it here) 911.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Smile

Actually, I couldn't take advantage of this guy like that. He should
not accept an offer less than 18 MILLION for this car. That JC Whitney stuff is hard to come by....and besides, for a mere 18 grand, of COURSE you don't even get to ASK about rust under that beautiful Toyota paint... ( how'd you like THIS guy for a PO...whew!)
Old 08-04-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ouch! Rough crowd!

Although I must agree there's no way it's worth 18 grand, it does look pretty clean (IMHO), and I like the interior too. I've always been an 'aircooled' fan (no pun intended), and have dug 914's since I was a teenager (when 914's were new). I can respect the "keep it stock and original" point of view, but I swing more towards the "customize and make it unique" side of the debate. I can tell right now that my '73 will be loathed by many on this board with it's 911SC flares, carbs, carbon graphite top, running boards and dash, and polished up interior aluminum parts. I can't wait until it's done (hopefully spring of 2003) to get the flames roaring.

Viva la difference!

'73 914
'75 914
Old 08-04-2002, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

advert should read "customized" not "restored".
Old 08-04-2002, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have been attending car shows since I was a child (in a stroller at the 1972 National Street Rod Association's) annual show.

At a very early age I was commenting (out loud) about some of the cars that my father would walk me up to. (good and bad)

After getting my backside swatted for making a few too many derogatory comments about peoples different ways of customizing (remember when discipline included getting your ass beat ??) My father had a heart to heart with me, "You must not make comments about peoples rides, you never know if they are close by or not." "Its better to keep your comments to your self and just appreciate how much time and effort they may have put into their car whether you like it or not." "You will one day understand what it takes to build/restore cars from the ground up and begin to appreciate peoples efforts in making something "customized" even if you dont like it.

I didnt listen to my father very often, but threads like this remind me to keep my mouth shut (rare for me). I have said this on many different lists: "You will not hear me slam other peoples rides," EVER. I have been there done that.

Ask yourself this before you slam somebodies ride:

What do I drive ?

Rant over.. lol

B
Old 08-04-2002, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Smile

If this guy was asking 5K. no one would have been interested in this thread. I like custom cars, actually. It's just that what you chop up a clean car (if this is) you have to realize that you are making it YOURS, and no one else may want it, or a least not want to PAY you for it. I still can't get over that " don't even ask"
part about rust on a 914. ALL 914's that have had old batteries in them have rust, to some minute degree at least. For 18K with a repaint, you HAVE to ask and look. I'm not a concours guy, but at
that 15+ price range you get to be.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"

Last edited by Ron Meier; 08-05-2002 at 08:06 PM..
Old 08-05-2002, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

b, ahh. sainthood on the horizon.

kevin
Old 08-06-2002, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
But the original point has been lost.

Isn't it clear that when someone advertises a car as "restored" and the car is obviously not, they really don't know the car very well. And when they price is so high, you have to wonder if they are reasonable people. WE all know you can't sell your car for what you have really spent on it, right? (don't tell my wife...)

In my opinion no one here meant to outright trash this car. Merely point out that once again, someone on E-Bay is misrepresenting the condition of their 914, and some unsuspecting person will buy it and learn later.

As an earlier post pointed out, if the ad said, highly customized, show winning 914, and was set at a reasonable price, no one would have even discussed it.

Last edited by rfoulds; 08-06-2002 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-06-2002, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I started this thread and at the time, the car had no bids, etc. E-bay seems to be a magnet for people who want more for a prized possesion than it is worth.

While the interior isn't my taste, it is a nice looking car. If I were advertising a car like this (OK, that would never happen), I'd call it customized.

My point is, maybe the Italian Car which was stored in a glass bubble is worth $25,000. But there is no way this car is WORTH $18,000

I never meant to dis the car. Only the owner

James
Old 08-06-2002, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
OK, I cant resist keeping my mouth shut on this one.

I think we're forgetting that the value of anything is not the sum of what was put into it, how stock it might be, or how customized it might be - its in whatever someone else is willing to pay for it!

Not to rag on you California folks, but thats why dirt in CA costs more than dirt in Illinois, for example.

Just be glad its not yours!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
That's because YOU people keeping moving out here.

James

(Wait. I resemble that remark!)

If you're not part of the solution, you end up on the bottom of the beaker.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

This is a good one. $200 starting bid on a 914 door handle that you can buy new for $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=1848730970
Old 08-06-2002, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I gotta door handle I'll sell for $199. Just trying to save someone from payingf too much.

Let's wait and see how much the car sells for before we all rag on it. What if it sells for $25,000? Who will be the smart guy than? If it helps drive up the value of our cars-all the better. Anyone check out who much a '74 MGB sells for these days? Oh thats right there are no MGB's around anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 08-06-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think the latter auction might be for a pair of handles. There are two part numbers listed... But if that is the case, it's a pretty lame listing.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-06-2002, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Looks like you're right Dave. Good starting price but I'd never buy from a zero feedback seller. Carry on...

Anyone know the story on that Olympic blue 914 turbo on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849551559&r=0&t=0

Looks like a sweet car.

Why am I having trouble with some of these ebay urls? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

The car has to be worth 18K. Otherwise, they wouldnt of put up a rope around it. As a matter
of fact, cars that are usually roped off go for
a much greater amount than 18K. 18K is a bargain.
Id go for it Besides, when was the last
time you seen a joint German/Japanese effort,
50 years?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: