Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

vehicle history

Has anyone ever tried to trace the history of their car? Who were the prior owners and whre they lived. I thought it might be interesting to see how far travelled my car is. I live in Pennsylvania and our Dept of Motor Vehicles is useless. Anyone know of a website or the process I need to follow to get prior owner info? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NOTRIGHT
i was thinking the same thing about my 914. i can tell you that car fax and the others on the net that do them kinda checks do not go back past 82 or 83.
so dont wast your money trying them

good luck
notright
Old 08-03-2002, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Long list

I have the original owners manual, it has recorded service till 79,000 miles. Next owner transformed it into a Autocross racer. Next owner Was "rocket scientist" for real. sold car to me less than 6 months later.

Nowhere does it say where rust was added as an upgrade Guess it doesn't matter because nothing much is orignal anyway.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Manufacturing history..

VW has an archive service that provides owners of aircooleds manufacturing history for thir car based on its ID (VIN). I wonder in they kept these records for the 914?
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 08-04-2002, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Cars North America, in Georgia, does. It's called a "Certificate of Authenticity", or "Kardex". It will tell you the original engine number, original tranny number, options, color, and (usually?) where it was originally sold.

Everything after that, you're on your own. State DMV records would be the best place to look, but most states are reluctant to give out that info. Maybe try MikeZ, he's a P.I. who may be able to dig up that kind of info.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-05-2002, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Consulting a PI sounds like an extreme move here, but in retrospect, if I got to speak with the guy who converted my
car to hydro lifters, it would have saved me a rebuild. I never knew it had these, I ADJUSTED them ...several times and dropped a valve seat.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: