Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Angry Did my clutch or my Trans go out???

I recently replace the fire wall bushing on my '74 914 1.8L. After doing this I could not get into 4th gear, later I experienced problems getting into 1st.
Well today while driving I could not get it from 3rd to 5th on the road. As I played the shifter to get into 5th the shifter grinded down and made a clunk sound. Now the car will not go into any gears, and when attemped into any gear it grinds and will not engage. I then noticed the clutch pedal had no resistance and now had free play ease. The car still runs though, I just can't get it into a gear. I looked under the car and the clutch cable still was in place. So whats the problem and whats is it gonna cost me now? Clutch, springs, gears, or trans?
Thanks!
Jay
Old 08-04-2002, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
both

You started out with a bad clutch. Trying to continue shifting has led you to a bad trans.

Ya know when you feel pain in a leg while running? this means you are supposed to STOP. If you keep going you pull somthing and recovery takes longer.

In your case more expensive Sorry.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Sounds like a shift linkage problem.....

Remove your shifter and the entire shift rod and make sure all of the bushing are in place.

Get some vise grips and at the tranny shift consol end, grip the shift lever and make sure you can get into all gears.

If you can, reassemble the sift rod and now line up the shift rod this way:

At the tranny end, shift the car into 2nd gear. Put the shift rod into the shifter and bolt the shifter down.

Slide the shifter over until you feel the spring lockout plate. This is your guide point for 2nd and 3rd. Move the shifter up into the position you want for 2nd gear and tighten the shifter bolt to the shift rod.

Now try to select all gears!

James
Old 08-04-2002, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Question reply to pos. clutch/ trans problem

Ok guys, my wrench man told me to leave the car off, put the car in 2nd gear, and then try to start the car giving it gas. If the car begins to move already in a gear I'll know it's not the tranning, because it got into a gear.
Well, I did so and the car did start in 2nd gear with gas, & the car slowly made it home without shifting gears only in 2nd.
So when the car is off it goes into all gears. The wrench man said it could be the clutch cable or the clutch itself.
One flag I did notice is the free flowing clutch pedal (meaning there is no resistance and moves without effort).
Got any more thoughts?
Old 08-04-2002, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Clutch tube broke or the clevis finally wore through the arm on the clutch pedal.

Clutch tube breakage is my favorite (if you cant tell)

Hey.. How is the Guadalupe river ?? I want to come down for the Labor Day weekend and get drunk while tubing. (Like I have for the past 12 years)

B
Old 08-04-2002, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey - you can get drunk and float a lot closer to home on the Colorado River - you just have to watch out for the drunk jet-skiiers (you can tell by my tan that I just got back).

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 08-05-2002, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll have to try that Ron.

I gather up some freinds from NorTex and the Austin area every year at least once if not twice, for a weekend of tubing. They dont allow jet ski's on the river...but semi naked women and large coolers are allowed.

B
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: