Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering U-Joint question

I just installed a new (not used) steering u-joint to replace the one that the steering rack attaches to.

Now as the steering wheel is turned the resitance changes from high to low making the wheel sort of jercky. I loosened the u-joint bolts to let the shafts center themselves - did not help.

Has anybody see and cured this problem??

Ken
Old 08-05-2002, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why did you replace the U joint to begin with? Did this problem exist beforehand? Was your steering rack in an accident, ie did it get bent?

Separate the U joint again and rotate the steering wheel and then the rack to see which subsystem has the binding. Then chase it down from there. You could have seized ball joints, bent or rusted (under the boots) rack, rusted or bound steering column u joint, or etc. Let us know what the culprit turns out to be.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Replaced the u-joint because the old one had some "play" in it.

With out the u-joint the individual parts are OK.

Ken
Old 08-05-2002, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I have not put mine back together yet, so I'm at a disavantage here in helping you except to say that all u jionts have to be in line with each other. So when the top one is straight across, so must the bottom one be. And orinented the same as well. If its possible to assemble them out of sequence, which as I say I haven't gotten that far yet, there's your problem.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hummmm - hadn't considered that. I will see tonight. Where did you get the alignment info??

Ken
Old 08-05-2002, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What year car ??

I'm betting its a problem with the column.

We just went through this procedure at the shop.

The steering would almost lock when turning left and right.

We found that a bearing in the bottom of the column was missing a spacer which allowed the sterring shaft to flop just a little bit and put the u joints in a bind.

B
Old 08-05-2002, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KenH
Hummmm - hadn't considered that. I will see tonight. Where did you get the alignment info??

Ken
I installed a Flaming River kit in my '44 GPW (Jeep). The steering shaft is splined but not machined for a bolt allowing you to palce the u-joints anyway you want them. However, the instructions say make sure they are lined up. Then I looked at several drive shafts, even had a couple made up for the GPW. Yep, all lined up. So, I guess it's important.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OK here is the story.

Milt you are correct the u-joints have to aligned for correct operation.

Porsche has obsoleted the 914 part number and now supplies a joint that fits the newer cars.

This joint is manufactured 90 degrees off set from the 914 u-joint. Because the shaft is notched there is no easy way to align the joints. Both joints must be changed, or machine the shaft, or get a used 914 joint.

Part Heaven here I come. (B, you know who, wants to much for a used joint).

Ken
Old 08-07-2002, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Doesnt surprise me,

But ya coulda asked me...

We use them for shift linkage and keep some here at the Palo Alto facility.

B
Old 08-07-2002, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, I got around to installing my steering shaft today, the first time I cinched up all the bolts mine bound up too. So i turned the shaft around and put the top end on the bulkhead side. i can guarantee you that this end was on the top before. It worked fine that way. Go figure this one.

BTW Ken, you are right about the notches on the 914 shaft. They are not in line, so you can't line up the u-joints. Generally speaking though, you should line them up all other applications and in-phase as well. This means that a shaft with a yoke on each end will have the yokes lay flat on the table. This is important with slip joint shafts that you could put together nine wrong ways on a ten splined shaft.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: