Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Clutch problem or more???

While driving my '74 914-4 1.8L I was trying to shift gears and the clutch made a grind sound. Now the clutch pedal is dead and I can not put the car in any gear while the car is on, keep in mind I have no use of the clutch pedal. But, when the car is off I can put it into a gear and then start the car in that gear and it goes with throdle, but no shifting.
I looked under the car and had someone push the clutch in, I nothiced that the clutch arm that connects to the cable is not falling back into place all the way. This is probley why I can't get into a gear. Now Why is the C-pedal dead and is it my clutch or tranny?
Jay
Old 08-05-2002, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I suspect either the pedal cluster (the "Gordon pin"), the clutch tube in the center tunnel, or the bushing on the clutch throwout arm.

Check the roll pin in the pedal cluster by removing the wood floorboard that goes underneath the pedals. Push the clutch pedal and pull it back all the way. The pedal should have a roll pin that connects it to a cross-shaft, and that shaft should turn as the pedal pivots.

Check the clutch tube by adjusting the clutch cable. If it quickly goes out of adjustment again, the clutch tube is the likely suspect.

The most straightforward way to check the bushing is to remove the transmission from the car, then pull the clutch throwout arm out. Then inspect the bushing.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-05-2002, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
I bet anything it is the cluth pedal roll pin. The same thing happened to me. If you don't set that rubber stopper then when you push in the clutch it goes back all the way, and then you start applying pressure to the cable, and pedal. Usually the cable will snap after a while, but sometimes the pin will shear off. Best thing to do now is to get a pedal cluster rebuild kit (get the bronze bushing ones from Pelican) Bronze Bushings
Replace them all, and throw in the new roll pin, you should be good to go! Check your cable too, if it is questionable it is well worth the $ and time to replace it now, instead of tearing everything apart again.

Hope this helps

Chris
914 LOVER

Last edited by madd_dogg_914; 08-05-2002 at 06:23 PM..
Old 08-05-2002, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Throw away the roll pin that comes with the bronze bushing kit. More than one local mechanic with a very good rep calls them "junk".

Anecdote time:
A 911 buddy of mine lost his clutch, but the cable was fine. He called RMG (one of those local mechanics) and asked Bob what the problem could be. The first thing Bob said was, "You replaced the pedal bushings recently, didn't you?" Yes, my buddy had, as a matter of fact. "It's the roll pin on the clutch pedal arm--the ones that come in the kit are junk." Yes, my buddy had thought "new roll pin is better than used pin" and had used the one in the kit.

He dug the old roll pin out of the scrap pile, and used in in place of the sheared-off one that had caused the clutch failure. No problems, and that was about four years ago.

That's the kind of thing that makes me believe in experience... And in factory parts!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-06-2002, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: