Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
Stock rear spoiler

This isn't really technical, but . . .

I am debating putting the stock 914 spoiler on my car. I don't want anything flashy, but I figure since I am getting it painted, now would be the time to do it. I have seen the spoiler in it's stock form, just bolted on. But I was wondering if anyone has anypictures of what it looks like if it were blended in to the lid with bondo. If anyone has pictures they would like to share I sure would appreciate it. You can post them here, or e-mail them to me: a914lover@hotmail.com

Really appreciate it!
Thanks everyone

Chris, 914 LOVER!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think that a spoiler was ever "stock". This was always an aftermarket add-on.

I personally don't like it, but it's a matter of choice and taste.

I defintely don't like the mini whale tales, wings, and other spoilers on the rear.

Regards,
Old 08-05-2002, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I am pretty sure it is stock. All of the GT cars had it. The 916 came with it. I don't know though . . . Anyone know for sure (I bet the self proclaimed "Dr. 914" knows . . . I am interested to know. And also thank you for the input. If everyone hates it I bet I wont do it. I am halfway doing it because there is an ugly crease right where it would mount. But I bet I could get a good rear deck lid for the same $$$ as the spoiler. Keep the input coming guys, and pics too if you got them.

Thanks
Chris
914 LOVER!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Chris, it's your car. Do what you want.

Certainly none of the stock 914/4's came with a rear spoiler. Check out Dr. Johnson's Restorer's Guide to Authenticity if you want to remain original.

Last edited by unclerichy; 08-05-2002 at 06:53 PM..
Old 08-05-2002, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I know it is my car, and in the end I will do what I want, but I am looking for pictures so I CAN decide. Also, I am VERY indecisive, so input, one way or the other is most helpful. Seriously, if everyone thinks they are butt-ugly, TELL ME! I wont get one. But if people think they are great, TELL ME! I will get one. I also know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but tell me what YOU think, PLEASE!!! And pics if you got 'em.

Also, if anyone has good looking non-914 specific spoilers, tell me and send pics. I am just trying to get it ready for paint, and I don't want to decide AFTER the paint that I wanted a spoiler.

Thanks again

Chris
Old 08-05-2002, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok, you asked for it - THEY'RE BUTT UGLY

I've owned two 914s that they were mounted on - it was the first thing removed. They make the trunk lid heavy so the springs don't pop it up. They fit like crap unless you want to run a bead of BONDO. I don't like the holes you have to drill.

Our 914/6, Ritchie Ginther built race car never had one (neither did anyone else as they weren't allowed in SCCA).

I question their functionality.

My Porsche 914 will never look like a Ricer.

I'm done!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 08-05-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here is what we like to run.

Its not SCCA ITA legal, but it is legal for his local PCA chapters.

We have found the car needed a spoiler (not wing) if the car see's anything over 125mph for any length of time. The rear end becomes light and needs to have the air disturbed coming off the decklid to make the turbulence happen after the car so it doesnt wrap up underneath the rear apron.

You can buy it in 3inch and 6 inch. The back is open and they fit like a glove. They where actually laid up on a rear decklid and clip.

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06170009.jpg (35.9 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-05-2002 at 11:20 PM..
Old 08-05-2002, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok, here's a pic of the spoiler usually seen...

If you feel you have ta go with a spoiler, I like the "gurney-flap" style like Brad posted above better even though the differences might be small

To my opinion, if you don't need it 'cause you're going racing, don't get one...

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 08-06-2002, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I think you should do what looks good to you, but to be technically correct, the 916 and the GTs did not come with a rear spoiler.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i always thought the one one the yellow car was attractive. if your rear hood is already screwed go for it. the solution to the extra weight is the strut kit from camp914. i would have to think long and hard about drilling holes in a good one. i'm in a tizzy about having to drill 3 little holes in the fender to pop rivet on a sidemarker base.

kevin
"greasy pig out of the new car"

ps i used the method in the tech articles. if you have'nt tried it, you're doing things the hard way.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Opinion: if your car carries other obvious modifications (front air dam, oversized wheels and tires), then it might look more in keeping with the rest of the car. If it's mainly a stock 914, the spoiler tends to look butt-ugly. I doubt that there's much of a functional difference. Bob G
Old 08-06-2002, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I think it looks like cheap crap on a stock car. But, with flares, fat tires and front air dam, it looks good.

Part of the reasoning is that the rear spoiler "lengthens" the line of the car. In other words, when you look at it on a 3/4 view, the spoiler makes the car appear longer by pulling your eyes off center.

But, when combined with other design elements, like flares and front air dam, a rear spoiler helps re-establish the visual balance.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chris, don't put a spoiler on they are rubbish IMH(umble)O
Old 08-06-2002, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Oktoberfest in FL

Saturday
October 12th 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Swap meet at Brumos Motor Cars
10231 Atlantic Blvd., Jacksonville, FL. Bring your Porsche parts, literature, memorabilia, to trade, sell, barter. There is a Table fee. Call Buddy at (904) 725-9155 for space assignment. No cars. Due to space limitations, all swappers MUST reserve in advance.

9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Concours for all Porsche cars.
Hosted by Brumos. Entry fee $20.00 per car. All cars must be in place by 9:30am.

5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Dinner Party
Located TBD. Planning a BBQ cookout with door prizes, fun, frolic. $10 each at the door.

Sunday
October 13th
7:30 am to 1:00 pm
Autocross
Located at FCCJ (Florida Community College Jacksonville) police course.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It would appear that I will not be getting a rear spoiler . . . so does anyone have a really cherry rear deck lid. Paint doesn't matter, I just dont want Bondo, or dents . . .

Guess I will also post this in the want ads.

Thanks for the honest opinions . . .

Chris
914 LOVER!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Good research on the pics, James!! Those show that none of the 916es, and none of the factory GTs, came with the "GT spoiler".

I'm pretty ambivalent about them, myself. I think they look better than any of the wings that I've seen on 914s--even race cars. But I'm not real wild about them. I think they'd be a good solution if you had a deck lid with holes already in it, or with a crease right there. Especially if you had one lying around, or could get your hands on it for very cheap.

I think I like the "flap" that B posted, but only on a race car. I.e., if you've got permanent numbers on the car, or a roll bar, or a harness bar with five-points installed, or...

Then again, my own car can't get to 125 MPH on any of the local tracks (yes, I mean when it ran!), so it's rather a waste of time for me.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-06-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here is a Pontiac Fiero wing on a 914
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fierowing2.jpg (27.4 KB, 1932 views)
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

No 914 ever came from the factory with any rear spoiler.

IMO, they are ALL ugly. Real ugly. Some are more ugly than others, for example, that Fiero spoiler in the picture above absolutely destroys what would otherwise be a nice looking 'Teen.

But, most 914's have been hacked up by their owners over the years anyways, which is why unmodified 914s have become increasingly rare and valuable.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

"so does anyone have a really cherry rear deck lid. Paint doesn't matter, I just dont want Bondo, or dents . . . "

Good luck finding a "Cherry" deck lid. Based on my limited experience and others experiences.... I would rather have some holes or dents in a deck lid than what I usually find....

Usually I find slight waves or deformations in the lid... many not detectable until you get a nice shiny coat of something on them... usually caused by years of less than careful closing of the lid.

These problems on front and rear lids seem more common than dents or holes but much harder to fix... I used finishing Bondo and lots of sanding to get these out of my lids.

I have taken what I thought was a perfect lid and later found lots of shallow deformations.... Others have had similar experiences.... Give me the dents and holes I can see instead any day. YMMV

- Dave
Old 08-06-2002, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
I disagree that that spoilers looks bad on a 914. I have one (that covers up the dent in the rear lid) and I like the look, it kinda finishes the car off to me. Now, I have a later car so it has the big rubber bumpers too.
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0092.jpg (54.5 KB, 555 views)
Old 08-06-2002, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: