Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Never left, but not right

Clutch cable tube broken off mounts

I pulled the tube out of the tunnel, it was completely loose. Which hole in the bulkhead did it originally come out? There's the big hole with the sleave for the wiring harness and two more under it which are the right size. Passenger or driver's side hole?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My clutch cable runs through the smaller tube on the drivers side. The Speedo cable runs through the larger one on passenger side.

Of course lots of things on my car are, uh - slightly modified. Use the Terry cable - much smother than stock. Also check to make sure your pulley at the rear of the car is turning - mine was full of crud and jammed.

I will check tomorow to see where the accelerator cable passes through. I think it is to the drivers side and slightly higher than the clutch. The clutch cable comes off of the pedal cluster to the passenger side of the accel cable. When you run them don't twist them up - it is easy to do in the tunnel.

Last edited by JayDarden; 08-06-2002 at 05:13 PM..
Old 08-06-2002, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Jay. I might be confusing the speedo cable tube with the clutch. Tell me more when you can. I'll look at Haynes in the meantime.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try a search for "tunnel" or something like that as Dave D did some picts of one cut open and cut up from a car that was chopped. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Talking

Milt,

Salvation is at hand!!! Look in the Pelican 914 tech articles under 914 center tunnel . Damp Dave has posted photos that show the guts within. All the tubes are shown in the approprate places.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_center_tunnel/911_center_tunnel.htm

Enjoy!

Ken
Old 08-06-2002, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mo better yet, thanks. Guess I'll be cutting some acess holes to make some welding repairs.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jay is right. Don't let the clutch and acccelerator cables get crossed when installing them. Its a wierd feeling when the engine speed races everytime you put in the clutch! Yes it can happen.

Mike
Old 08-07-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I used metal cable clamps to secure mine. Was able to use the normal openings. Easier than welding.

Milt see the U-Joint post.

Ken
Old 08-07-2002, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ken H,
You said you used metal cable clamps? My clutch tube broke through the other day and I need a fix that doesn't involve welding. Got the welder, but if there is another way please explain. Thanks
Old 10-05-2002, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Non weld repair clutch tube

Hi
Check this out. This is a clutch tube repair appliance.
Apparantly bolts right on. It is available somewhere
but I lost the link. The pic should give some ideas, and someone will find the link for us.

best Mark
Old 10-05-2002, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

...and watch out for the fuel lines when you weld it back on!

Scott
Old 10-05-2002, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Last summer I used two cable clamps to fix a friends completly broken clutch tube. It worked great. One was installed in the access area below the shifter and the other was installed in the access opening closest to the firewall.

The "U" bolt piece of the cable clamp bolts through the center tunnel floor. Some washers and nuts from the underside of the car and your done.

It's not to PC but it works. If you can weld the tube up that would be the best way, but the location fuel lines scared me off from welding.

I installed a clamp on my car just to reduce the stress and movement of my clutch tube.

I can snap a few photos if you like.
Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 10-06-2002, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yeah if you could take a few pictures that would be great. I went down to Home Depot yesterday and bought some clamps, just haven't had the time to install them yet.
I like the angle iron with the tube idea. Anyone know the link?
Old 10-06-2002, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Has anyone tried these repair kit? on bottom of list.
http://www.9xauto.com/914.html
Thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by maf 914
Jay is right. Don't let the clutch and acccelerator cables get crossed when installing them. Its a wierd feeling when the engine speed races everytime you put in the clutch! Yes it can happen.

Mike
Not only can it happen, it also scares the crap out of you the first time it does it when you're not expecting it.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-07-2002, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: