Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Blind spots? What blind spots?

Hey guy's (and gal's) try this.

Driving in rush hour traffic can get a little unnerving in our pint size cars, and the sail panel can block a descent size chunk of your viewing area when making a lane change, so check this out sometime.

When sitting in your car (doesn't necessarily have to be your 914), lean your head over to where your driver side window would be if it was up. Then adjust your driver's side mirror so you 'just' see the side of you car. Then sit with your head right in the center of the car, and adjust the passenger side (if so equipped) mirror like you did on the driver's side.

The result is that while driving (particularly useful on the Hwy), cars that are overtaking, or you're passing on either side can be seen first in the rear-view mirror. As soon as you lose them in the rear-view, they show up in the side-view mirror until they're actually right along side. This virtually eliminates any blind spots! Once you get over the fact that can't see where your car is in your side-views, I think you'll like it.

Try it and let me know what you think!

Now for the disclaimer. I got this info from a Boeing Engineer in Seattle, so I'm not the creator of this "Blind Spot Elimination" procedure. I'm just passing it on.

My wife hates it, but then again she does most of her driving here in town on one lane roads (Can't teach an old dog new tricks

'73 914
'75 914
Old 08-11-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I run my mirrors as wide as I can and just barely see the side of the car in the edge of the mirror to know it is adjusted and hasn't been knocked out by someone. I also use those little fisheye buttons; if I see anything in the button, I wait until I know what it is and where is is.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Most Americans set their mirrors ao they can see the side of their car in them; Why? by the time anything is visible, it's too late.

The proper adjustment (possable what's described above) is much farther out. When driving in the center lane of a three lane highway, mirror should be adjusted as such...

Approaching car fully visible in interior mirror, when no longer fully visible in that one, should be visible in side mirror. When no longer visible in side mirror, should be visible using periferal (SP?) vision.

Oh wait, this is a Porsche board, reverse the order as I'm sure you're the over taker not the one being over taken.

I'm a bit tired, so I appologize if that doesn't make sence.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yep, essentially what Dave said, no blind spots!

There's just a little bit of overlap when the approaching vehicle leaves sight in the rear view and appears in the side view, so you can see him/her at all times. Check it out.

'73 914
'75 914
Old 08-11-2002, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I never got accustomed to those small chrome mirrors so I installed that large Wink mirror you often see on race cars. What a difference. The only blind spot is where you see your own face. You have to remofe the sun visors to install it.

1973 914 2.0 mostly track car
1984 Golf ( Wife car )
1996 Volvo 850 station ( Good family-men car )
Old 08-12-2002, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: