Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
914 Newbie 1st post

Hello, I'm new to 914's. I've read this forum for a long time( I love it), & will be getting a 914 in the near future. I've got a 2.6ltr T4 short block that I was going to put in my 71 Super Beetle, but decided that a teener would be a better recipient for that motor.

Here are some specs on the motor so far:

1.8 l block bored for 103 P/C's
78 mm stroke C/W crank
Rabbit rods from European Motorworks
E grind cam from European Motorworks
1/2 through bolts
30 mm Melling oil pump
2 ltr. bus heads 42x36 valves (still up in the air)
Stock cylinder & oil cooling for now

Here's where the questions come in:

I'm not sure what to do for fuel delivery; could the L jet FI work with my motor? Could the cam lend it self for use with the L jet??
Should I try a CIS ( do-it-yourself from PUP). Which CIS would work?? Or, should I just go with Webbers/Dells. I want this car just as a weekend driver.
My preference would be the K jet, but I wouldn't know which car to get it from. For me this would be trial and error unfortunately. I've been reading the book ' Bosch Fuel Injection Systems', written by Forbes Aird; published by HP Books. From what I've read, I really like the K jet with out the Lambda sensor. I'd like to keep it as electronics free as possible, but I'm open to look at all suggestions. Although I don't want to spend crazy money on an FI system like CB's.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. I hope to aquire as much knowledge as possible from everyone here.

I hope to have my 914 by the time my 32nd birthday comes around next month. I've wanted a 914 for the past 20 years. I'm pretty exited.

Thanks again,

Eddie Brown.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
If you want to put CIS on a type 4, I'd start here:

http://www.sandrail.com/millerfi/

James
Old 08-13-2002, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks James, I'd seen that site before. This time I paid a bit more attention to it. Ed's 914 showes up and is well done. I'm wondering which car would be a good donor for a CIS set up? Do I need to find a car with similar displacement to the 2.6l ? Do I look for Saabs, Volvos, maybe a 944 Porsche?? I'll keep on looking to see what's out there. Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Eddie.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
How about the Porsche 911?

James
Old 08-13-2002, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sure, if you've got a couple of extra cylinders...

The usual suspects seem to have been Saabs, Volvos, and Rabbits. The 914 FI manifolding and such has been adapted to work with some of the CIS bits. Very much a mix-and-match deal. Not sure what to do on a 2.6; even the 2.0 manifold may not flow enough to feed it decently!! You may wind up having to go full-custom on it... Or cut up the 911 manifolds (probably use ones from a 3.6) so you won't choke the engine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-14-2002, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: