Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flares? Sub?

Just got some new flares (Thanks Larry M) and I am wondering if anyone has any advise to give me when I put them on. Also has anyone ever thought about or installed a sub behind the guages in the center console? Might be a good way to get some more bass from your stereo. Looks like an 8" sub would fit, would have to seal that space somehow to make it work. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave
Old 08-13-2002, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know the specifics, like the size of the console, but the best way to seal it would probably be to fiberglass the inside to create an actual enclosure for the sub. A seperate baffle would also be a good idea, 3/4 inch MDF works well. www.elitecaraudio.com has some good forums, and there are lots of old threads and some articles about how to do this kind of thing. Good luck, and let us see some pics if you decide to do it!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was kinda thinking about building a box that fit right inside the console. I would like to know If anyone has done this before, if it works and is worth it (sound wise) before I go ripping apart my car. I have some computer software to design sub boxes and have made lots so I think it can be done. Any ideas? Dave
Old 08-13-2002, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Here ya go: Audio system recommendations...

Check the 10th reply out.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dave,

we built a sub into the passenger side floor foam kick panel.

Remove the panel and use it as the fiberglass template. Add 2 inches to the front side (takes up very little room in front of the passengers feet)

The passenger ends up with their feet on it, but the amount of air space is perfect for a 8 inch sub.

B
Old 08-13-2002, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
With the assistance of D-Man, the engineer/machinest, at my place of work where we have CNCs -I'm rebuilding and redesigning my center console for AC car. The thought is to make it look stock but add a little more utility and make it a lot less flimsy.

Material is black ABS. There will be a part glued to bottom to complete cup holder. Sides are being cut as I type. I will use original, angled guage face. Thinking of including the sub box while I'm at it.

Please give me your thoughts as more could be made for sale. AC or not. Cost would likely be less than stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console bottom.jpg (60.3 KB, 354 views)
Old 08-14-2002, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That looks great!! I'd be interested just for the cupholder Would that piece fit right into the slot that the original one sits in?

74 914 1.8
Old 08-14-2002, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I put a sub woffer box in the passenger foot area and it seems to just fit perfectly. I will try to get some pictures if I ever get this camera working correctly. other then that that cup holder looks like a good idea, where can I get one?

cg
70 914 of the jack stands on test driving
Old 08-14-2002, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The part above will fit into stock console. One could easily hand fab a replacement part w/ a cup holder out of simple sheet ABS w/ a hole and a piece of ABS pipe or cap for the cup holder.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Dave,

BTDT - You can visit my website for some details. They weren't sub-woofers, but they were 6.5in 2-ways. Without the AC I figured one could fit much larger (like sub-woofers) there.

The only concern is the location on the driver side, as the console angles back steeply for access to the gas pedal. My speaker grills only stick out about 1/2 in so I rarely kick off the grill.

Or you might consider linking the gas pedal to the volume on your stereo - could that be called "traveling at the speed of sound?"

With the added weight of the speakers, you will likely need to add some minor support to the front end of the console where the two side meet. Be default there are only a few staples in a small piece of plywood, so I fabbed some angled brackets to re-inforce it.

I'd also like to follow your progress on the flares. Been wantin steel for the Signal Orange, but may have to settle for glass.

Enjoy!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I test fitted the flares today, look great, but I noticed that there is a gap between the flare edges and body in some places (1/8"). Will this go away when I cut the fenders? Has anyone ever installed the flares from the inside of the fender? Don't know if it will work, but it seems that you might be able to blend them in better? Anyone got some tips for me? Thanks for your help. Dave
Old 08-14-2002, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Question fiberglass/steel flare install

Are you installing fiberglass or steel flares?
Can anyone tell me if the installation is the same for either set?
Thanks
korijo
Old 08-15-2002, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Well, when you install fiberglass flares you don't tend to do much welding....

And with steel flares, you usually don't have to do a lot of massaging of the parts to get them to come close to fitting. It's almost universal that FG parts require some (or even a whole lot) of work to fit decently.

Very little about the process is the same between steel and FG. They are fitted somewhat differently, they are attached very differently. If you don't count the first couple of steps of painting, they do get painted the same way...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-15-2002, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Jubal Delong, that looks real nice, if you come to a point of making more for resale, email me, i like it a lot. thanks,
Old 08-15-2002, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

They are fiberglass. Dave
Old 08-15-2002, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Since they're FG, take a look in the Tech Articles section of this website. There's an article by Ed V. about installing FG flares on a 914. Looks pretty well-written to me--but I've never done the job myself.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-16-2002, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: