Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thinking of getting rid of my 914

hello all,

With life dealing me my current set of cards, it looks like I should either fold or come up with a good bluff when it comes to my 914.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it, but have no idea of what it would be worth in it's current condition.

I have it in "pieces" right now. I've been working on the 2.0L Chrysler Turbo engine conversion and have all the parts to make it happen (engine, trans mount conversion pieces, brains, ect).

The engine isn't in because I decided it would be best to repair the damaged body (which has been done). the under side of the body needs to be painted and it could use a new coat on top too but isn't nessicary.

With the engine not in the car, does anyone have any idea what I could get for this?

Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Tough decision. I abandoned my 1971 project car, after I bought my 914/6. The 71 could have been fixed, but, the time and effort to put into it would not equal what I'd get out of it. It's all different when it's for you vs. for someone else.

In parts, they are geneally worth more than together. BUT, parting is an effort!

James
Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
As an "incomplete project", I doubt it's worth very much. You'd have to find one of the other people out there who wants a Chrysler Turbo 914. If you sell it as a "roller" to someone who isn't interested in your particular vision, then the motor and such is just extra crap they'll have to get rid of--so I wouldn't expect them to pay much if anything for it.

If you can sell the bits separately, you will probably make more money. But that means keeping it around for however long it takes to sell...

If you finish it and sell it, you'll probably get something in between the other money amounts. You'll widen your market (some people just want a 914 that "goes fast" without having to pay for 911 engine parts prices) most likely, and if the car is fun to drive that can be a real selling point.

But that means putting more time and money into the project--and then actually having it there, in the garage, calling your name. You might find that you can't sell it after you've driven it around a bit....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-14-2002, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: