Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I bought my first 914 !!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I bought my first 914 last thursday night!! Actually I got two in the deal( a 72, and a 75). I paid $ 650 for the two of them. The 72 is the one I'm gonna fix first. They are both rollers. The 72 has rust only in the engine compartment, under the battery tray. The trunks, floor boards, and longitudinals are all in great shape. So I'm extremely happy with the purchase !!.
I plan on using the 2600 cc motor that I had for my Super Beetle. It's a 103x78 motor, with counter weighed crank and Rabbit rods. 1.7 l heads with 42x 36 valves. European Motorworks E grind cam, & I'm gonna tinker with the D-Jet to see if I can get it to work.
Needless to say I'm exited about the car. I've always wanted one, and I must say that I got lucky that I didn't end up with a rust bucket. It's nice to live in near So Cal, in such a dry climate. These two cars must have sat for about five years out in a RV parking lot !

Take care,

Eddie.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Hey, congrats & welcome

If the cars are both not rusty (esp the 72 -> smog exempt) , sounds like a sweet deal.

Are you planinng to build more of a track oriented car, or a street hotrod?

Not sure I've heard of a D-jet system tweaked up to a 2.6; now that would be a feat.

Keep us posted as you dive into the project(s)

Cheers,
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-17-2002, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Chris, thanks a lot !! The 72 was out of the DMV system so I don't owe back registration(nice!). I plan on using it as a weekend driver. Lots of beach runs up and down PCH. I was really surprised that the longitudinal were impecable. I wish I could post pics.
I'm not sure if the D-Jet will run or not with such a big motor... maybe with bigger injectors, fuel pressure adjustments, and some praying to the Porsche gods I can get it to run. Besides, the guy that I bought the cars from, knows electronics and both the D-Jet & L-Jet very well. He said he would give me a hand with the set up. I hope so, because I'd like to stay away from carbs if I can.
I will keep my progress posted, that's for sure.

Take care,

Eddie.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Another angle could be to go to CIS, or one of the less-expensive modern EFI setups (I think there is one called 'megaquirt' or something along those lines). There are a few guys who've done that with some success.

For a street car, especially, it's hard to beat a good running FI setup.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-18-2002, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile

Congrats on your first 914! You will find that now you have one, you'll never want to go without one again. I know that you'll have alot of fun!
79 vw rabbit
Old 08-18-2002, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I just bought my first 914 about 5 weeks ago. After a week and a half, I dropped a valve seat; the engine and tranny are out of the car, awaiting head repair.

It's a real bummer, even though its way too hot here without AC, my morning drive was magic! I am really looking forward to getting the car back together. I'm really lucky in that I have a friend who has a Type IV in his '70 Beetle, and he has been fantastic about helping me out. It's my first time really tearing out a motor, very educational but I wish it could've waited a bit longer to happen!

Have fun with your cars, I plan on doing the same.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 08-18-2002, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good luck

Good luck with the 914... its an excellent car

Gary
Old 08-24-2002, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: