Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ever cut one up?

has anyone ever cut a 914 up into small, easy to dispose of, pieces? if so, what tools did you find worked best? I've got a '73 2.0 here with sentimental value, but the more I dig the more I realize I'd be better off scrapping this one and starting with a better chassis. thanks for any thoughts on this...
Old 08-18-2002, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sawzall and air powered cut off tool and the occasional hammer do the job. then a pick-up to haul it off to the scrap yard.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'm about to do one, and I plan to rent a plasma cutter.

James
Old 08-19-2002, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sawsall and air chisel. Put it into three boxes and away it went.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
James,

How long did it take you to cut it up?

James
Old 08-19-2002, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

how much does a scrapper charge to haul away where you live? figure out how long it's going to take to cut it up and devide that into the charge. i bet you wind up paying yourself less than $.75 an hour to cut it up. not to mention 20 bucks worth of sawsall blades plus multiple runs to the recycler. i would have better things to do with my time that would be alot more fun.

kevin
Old 08-19-2002, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Kevin: $225!

James
Old 08-19-2002, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow that's expensive! In Illinois you pretty much just give it to them and they take it for free. Or.... what's left of it....
Old 08-19-2002, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I guess here in San Diego, the auto places want the car with everything...

And the scrap people want you to bring it to them. I was also considering renting a u-haul flatbed trailer and taking it that way. It will depend on what the plasma cutter costs to rent.

James
Old 08-19-2002, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If the car is already stripped, my local Pull Your Part charges $20 to take the car and you have to tow it there.

Here's a tip. Use AAA to tow it for free. When they ask you if the car is registered say "yes". The tow truck driver won't give a ****.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Hmmmm. The car _is_ registered.....in NY...

I expect to cut or drag it over to scrap metal dealer, very soon. And it's brother as well.....

James
Old 08-19-2002, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Body dumping?

I had someone take a stripped shell to the scrap/recycler. Paid $35 one time, $40 the next. Saved alot of time but the AAA would have been nice (free) if I knew who would take/dispose/recycle it.
Try contacting some body shops to see how they dump their scrap/totalled clips/bodies. If they have someone that will come by with a flatbed, maybe you can contact them and can have them pick up the shell. If they charge $35-40 to pick-up, maybe they'll get a little more at the scrap/recycle. They may need some paperwork/registration to prove to the scrap/recycler that it's not stolen. HTH.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

mines stripped to the bone now already. it would be impossible for someone to come and get it where I live (narrow and low garage on a very steep hill). I actually think cutting it up should be fun. I really hate to do it, it's not THAT bad, but some rust in the battery area and a rear end accident that was already repaired is just not great for a project start I suppose. plus I realize I hate doing body work and would much rather stick with the mechanicals.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
For me, well I have the 6 now. Repairing the 1971 into good stock condition would create a car which would fetch $4000, unless I put it on E- bay (Rare, Restored Concours 1971...L@@K! L@@K!).

For my time, it would not be worth it. And no one wanted a project car for $1500. And it did have the cancer. The 1973 has a simlar problem. I could probably get $6000 for it if I put my efforts towards it. But again, the time to do it would not be worth it.

What it comes down to is my time is more valuable than my want to restore and sell these cars. It hurts to cut up a savable car. But someone got's to save it, to save it. And I'm not gonna save it. Clear?

James
Old 08-19-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

yes, clear. that is exactly why I am doing this. you start adding up all the numbers and I could be in a factory 6 instead of a fixed original 4. plus all the parts I am buying are too nice to throw on an accident car. oh well, it served me very well. driven 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, thru bay area traffic, and 80+ stop lights a day with NO problems ever!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I had a t-boned 911 carcass to dispose of after stripping it of everything that wasn't twisted. MAJOR PITA, bought the car in New Hampshire, they don't title anything older than '88, wanted to dispose of it in CT (titles till '80), big catch 22. Junk yards wouldn't take it unless I had a title, no way no how. Had to declare the car abandoned in my own driveway! Then I could hire a state licensed wrecker to come get it @$225.

The plasma cutter sounds like a sweet approach, those things will go thru teener sheetmetal like butter, and they don't make a lot of noise in the process.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

thankfully I have the title in my name. anyone in CA know what I need to do to trash this car, as far as DMV and such goes?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

If it rolls you just have it towed to an auto dismantler. If you cut it up, you take the pieces to a metal recycler or a junk yard. You can report the car to DMV but it really doesn't matter. I would keep the title and cut off the vins just in case you ever wanted to use them on another 914 that needed to be smog exempt. :-)
Old 08-19-2002, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Here if you put anything metal out back it's gone in a day or less, metal scavengers.

Here's an idea....went and looked at a 72-914 for sale here this weekend.

Owner had replaced the longs with "parts from a bus" (Transit I think), only spot welded them in (saves on welding time & wire).

"Replaced floor with heavy metal" (from a fridge). His own design.

Colour change Orange to Blue (lookes like it was painted with a B&D Power Painter or Tremclad & roller. No need to paint those trunks, just use black gravel guard (covers up those rust spots, for awhile).

Motor leaks along with trans ("hard to get into secondgear

"motor needs tune up" that one explains the ruff idle.

No interior.... just make your own & call it custom.

Take all these easy fixes, put them on your spare bodys laying around and then ask $8,900.00 for the car (about 6,500 US).

or you can send them to me and I'll store them for you. Happen to have 160 acres of lake front with nothing but hay on it.

Bruce
Old 08-19-2002, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

hahaha...

my car is not even that bad. the jack points, longitudinals, and suspension console are solid. no rust in the wheel wells, front or rear trunks. what's wrong is the firewall is gone in both corners, the right side engine shelf is bad, and there is a hole behind the battery tray. the car was also rear ended, so both rear fenders have been bumped out and the rear clip was replaced. to do all this right would cost more than just getting a solid body. I will sacrifice this one and thank it for 1.5 years of very reliable transportation.

so...anyone know of a solid, good original paint, unmolested 914 in the bay area?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: