Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Hoosier tire help

Hello list, this is my second post, I just purchased a streetable autoXer its a 1970 3.2 sixer with some Hoosier AutoX radials on the lightened up 1700 lb car. I absolutely love the handling of this little shifter cart. My neck hurts after some sporty driving! Anyway how long will these expensive little sticky tires last? I don't know if it makes any diff but the wheels are 6X15 fuchs with 205 50's
Old 08-19-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Congrats on the sixer...

Are they the actual autox tires (A3S03 is the current model)?

If so, they are super duper soft and gummy, made to heat up quickly, and won't last long.

Some guys say they run the Hoosier road-race tires (R3S03) no more than 10-15 heat cycles before trashing them.

I have never run the autox tires but have had several sets of Yoko, Kumho and Hoosier DOT-R tires.

Personally, my vote is unless you're going for a big trophy, I would run them until either they are about to show belts (what little belts the Hoosiers actually have) and/or the stick goes completely away. You will know when this happens; at least on the Yokos I ran on my previous cars, I suddenly felt like I was driving on ice. But I wasn't.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-19-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Ditto on the congrats. I hope to see you at the track when I get there ('03). As far as the Hoosiers go, the western dealer for them is in Fresno or someplace like that. I couldn't get them to call me back or email or anything. They don't want to sell their tires, apparently. So unless you need some abuse and neglect, I'd run the Kumos which you can get on tire rack.com for less money. Just my experience.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-19-2002 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-19-2002, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

*Warning* smart a_s comment ahead meant for entertainment purposes only.

"They will last until you get a flat."

Back to our regulary scheduled answers:

Hoosiers are a track/autoX tire, they puncture very easily and will leave you stranded. I recommend a second set of wheels/tires for the car and save those Hoosiers for race day. They are DOT legal only to keep the rule makers happy in all these venues.

I personally feel you cannot beat the Hoosier tire on the road course or the autoX track. One rare case where you get what you pay for.

B
Old 08-19-2002, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Milt - FWIW, I dunno. I have not yet tried the new Kumho Ecsta 700 tire. But I ran the Victoracer V700 on my last 914 (73 2.0, stock-class).

The V700 is a nice tire and definitely a great bang/buck at like $115/ea. But largely at B's advice I eventually picked up a set of Panasport 15x6 wheels and some Hoosier R3S03's, 205/50.

Wow. I only got to run them once before selling the car. But the difference with just a wheel+tire change was amazing. The grip at Willow was phenomenal with those puppies, and even my instructor that day, who was a pro racer/test driver type, was impressed by how solid and balanced the car felt. With the stock 2.0 and very midlly tweaked suspension, and those tires, I felt like I had way more grip than I could effectively use on a big track like that. Difficult or impossible to break it loose; even flat out through 2 and 7-8 it just stuck, and I had no more power to feed in. Of course with more power, and a more trick suspension, the added grip would come in very useful.

Anyways, they are expensive, and you need at least 6" wheels (to run 205's) but I'm convinced the Hoosiers are good for quicker lap times.

As far as autox goes, I can't say. But I think that the majority of serious SCCA autox contenders are on Hoosiers.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the board.
Nice to see know other folks who have 3.2s in their car.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I also would appreciate more feedback about Hoosier's vrs. Kuhmo's. I got an extra set of wheels and tires with my car. They are Hoosier R3S03, Rear P245-45zr16 Front P205-45zr16. I ran them this weekend at Willow for the first time and was amazed at how much confidence it added to my driving. But the POC has a deal with Kuhmo where you pickup discounts when you place in your class using them. The previous posts seem to like the Hoosiers. Has anyone tried both and have a strong preference? I just want to plan on what to replace mine with because I'm done with street tires on the track!
Old 08-20-2002, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The Hoosiers are worth 3-4 seconds over the Kuhmo's.

How fast do you want to go ??

The Kuhmo's roll over in a corner and kinda give you an uneasy feeling when you push them hard. They last almost twice as long as Hoosier and are much cheaper.

The Hoosiers are the closest thing to a slick that your going to get in a DOT tire. Very consistant and give you nice feedback when pushed hard. When they are done..they are done. Like ChrisC said in a post above this one, you might get 13 heat cycles out of them.

Kuhmo is busting their backside to compete and take some market share from Hoosier by sponsoring all these people and events. The fast guy's are still on Hoosiers.

I know plenty of fast guy's on both tires in AutoX. The mediocre guy's running Hoosiers hagn door to door with the really fast guy's on Kuhmo's.

B
Old 08-20-2002, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Pretty much...

From talking with the locals (Northern CA)--
The guys who are primarily budget-constrained use Yoko A032R tires. Medium priced but they last and last and last. They only stick a little better than the sticky street tires.
The guys who really want to be competitive, win their classes, set class records, etc., run on Hoosiers. Period. Expensive and they don't last. But they stick, boy do they stick! Very easy to flat-spot under braking, too...
The guys who are in between, who want to go fast but are not willing to spend all the money required to be at the top, run Kumhos. They're cheap, last a middling amount of time, and have a middling amount of grip.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-20-2002, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Hoosiers it is.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I like this guy.

You will never be disappointed with the Hoosiers.

B
Old 08-20-2002, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Hey, you could always do what I did on my last car, and will most likely do again.

Run Kumho's on your 'street' wheels, for fun runs, casual DE's and so forth.

Run Hoosiers for more serious events on the big tracks, and/or when you want the ultimate performance.

I have run DOT-R tires (Yoko/Kumho) on the street, with very limited mileage obviously, for 5 years. You will not get the best out of them with all of this heat-cycling, but still they are SO much more fun than regular street rubber. And if you want to drive to the track/autox course, run laps, and then drive home, with no tire changing, then the Yokos or Kumhos are the way to go.

BTW you can fit 4 extra wheels with Hoosiers, a small jack, and your race gear bag in a 914. Not pleasant, but doable.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your help. The car is new to me and I am not an autoXer (yet), and haven't thought much about it. The car will be a project car for me. I guess its time to find some different rubber for the street. I do love the ride of those tires though. wow. Still with a lightened up car I wonder how long they will last?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: