Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Movers and Shakers

We didnt get to address this question in the other post, so I thought I would bring it up as a seperate topic.

I want to know who you think is a 914 "mover and shaker"

Who builds the most cars
Who builds the nicest cars
Who races a 914 all the time
Who builds the most 6 conversions
Who is influential in your 914 decision making

I want everybody from east to west.

My list is pretty long and includes a lot of people that I never see mentioned.

B
Old 08-19-2002, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

You are way more connected in these circles than I am.

But to kick off the thread, clearly John Williamson (Otto) belongs on the list.

I know he is "controversial" to some. But look at the facts:

914 fanatic and racer since 1972, give or take.
PCA Parade overall winner
SCCA GT2 regional champion
Multiple track (class) records
Currently owns and campaigns two high-end 914/6 race cars
Crewed/advised some major teams & events over the years
Arguably the premier 914 service shop in SoCal; maybe the SW region

Favorite quote overheard: "Real race cars have their engine in the middle"

Obviously, Rich Bontempi and Joe Reitmier belong on the list too. Richie Ginther. Alan Johnson. Probably safe to add Roger Sheridan, Randy Beck, and Mark Hergesheimer to the list of major 914 fanatic racers as well.

OK, somebody else keep going.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle

Last edited by campbellcj; 08-19-2002 at 11:22 PM..
Old 08-19-2002, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

After due consideration, I've decided that my most entertaining conversations about 914s have been with......ME.....Some of them are quite long winded and heated. Often they come down to something like.."well, dumb$h!t.....this is a fine mess you've gotten us into......now whatcha gonna do?"......"Don't ak me, it wuz your plan, I just turn the wrenches "

I look to B Anderson and S Weiner for motor stuff. I ask lots of questions of lots of people for BTDT type experiences with chassis stuff......even you, when I'm really up against it
W Fricke over on the Rennlist has been a big help over the years.
His thoughtful answers are fun to read.....even when he can't help, which is seldom.
G Ledbetter built me a hell of a trans.
Basicly, I look for "doers".

"Before Internet", I was on my own, mostly. *Somehow* I was able to do the 6er conversion. It was tough to ferret out info. But there are a lot of guys with a lot of gud info
that don't mess with these boxes. I wish I knew more of them.

BTW. It isn't who does the most 914/6 conversions......it's who does the best. As near as I can figure, no shop will take the time to do a job excatly as I want it done.......some may, given sufficient $$$$$$$. Being a CSOB, I do it myself.....and live with the consequences. Now days, when I screw the pooch, you'll prolly hear about it.

After nearly 30 years in the QA/QC, I've become pretty good at spotting bull*****ers and those with enough knowledge to be dangerous. The net doesn't make it any harder. You want a list of them?
Old 08-19-2002, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Damn it JP,

You kick my ass. Great reply.

Chris, you named off a lot of people who are on my list.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. The people who get things done, not really the ones who run the best adds, but the people who actually make a difference by keeping these cars on the road and on the track. I dont care if they are total buttf_cks in public or in private. Do they get the job done ??

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-19-2002 at 11:18 PM..
Old 08-19-2002, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

interesting post. movers and shakers? being somewhat isolated in regards to the 914 community i will say this. for me it's the person you strike up a conversation with at an a-x. a parts phone call, a couple of emails, and the next thing you know he's trailering you engineless car to his shop, letting you use his sandblaster, putting your car up on the lift (oh man), welding, and letting you ask a zillion questions without telling you to shut up for a minute. thanks again david e.

kevin
Old 08-20-2002, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Uhmmm... very little real world experience here (some though - but feel free to flame me for bad choices) and maybe not all 914 specific:

Jason (Paragon Products) for parts and suspension
Doug (Vehicle craft) cages / semi-tubes / brakes / suspension
Rich Johnson & Brad Mayeur
Perry Kiehl (sp?)
Smart Racing Products
Brumos
Gunnar
Jerry Woods (Bruce A's sidekick or vice versa)
Patrick Motorsports
Triad West (mufflers)
Tangerine Racing
Air Cooled Racing

and at the bottom of my list...

Brad (BBS terrorist)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 08-20-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Who builds the most cars?
Never thought about it.

Who builds the nicest cars?
In the early '70s, there was a guy named Klaus at the Karmann plant.

Who races a 914 all the time?
I'm a little biased with this response because he has helped me out considerably. But my response is Chris Foley (Racer Chris). He runs a 914 in SCCA F Production.

Who builds the most 6 conversions?
Not qualified to answer, but will be closely following the responses.

Who is influential in your 914 decision making?
Here I actually have a list.

Dave Darling - Seems to know what he is talking about. I would tend to trust him more if he actually had a running 914.

Brad Roberts - His knowledge, experience and willingness to share far outweighs his perceived level of arrogance.

Paul "Brad" Anders - Is there anything this guy doesn't know about 914 FI? We should all consider ourselves lucky that this guy is around and freely shares his knowledge.

Jeroen Berloth - This guy has a lot of "scar tissue". When he chimes in, I pay attention.

There are more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Paul,

I'm a bit baffled by this...
The other guys you mention are WAY outta my league

I am by no means a 914 mover (mine hasn't moved for over 3 years) though I am a bit of a shaker (I shake my head every time I look at my car)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 08-20-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Heh.... Sounds like me....

Seriously, Jeroen--you've Been There, Done That on enough things. And, perhaps more importantly, you can communicate what you've done pretty effectively. (I figure the latter is my real gift--that, and a willingness to go through the same thing over and over with newbies.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-20-2002, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well uh..., thanks...
But let's get back on topic before my head gets too big 8^)

Who's got more names?

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 08-20-2002, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

While the racing and street racing interest in these cars is interesting, there are others who have not been mentioned and unfortunately I don't know their real names, but they all have the same initials...CW.

While the 914 has not really been seen yet as a serious collectable car, I am intrigued by those 914 owners and enterprises who painstakingly restore their cars to immaculate condition, where everything is correct for the car. There is something very cool to me to see a 30 year old car, that looks and drives like it just came off the showroom floor. The books and articles that have been written, and the history of the car are interesting to me, and take me bak to an earlier era. I know, I am twisted. I much perfer a perfect stock example better than a custom because most every car I see is custom in some way or another...mine included.

The recent poll on this BBS indicated that the great majority of owners like the car as a great daily driver...and it is. While it can hold its own on the track, the car is a great car on other levels too.

I think that as time goes on, the car will attract more collectors and there will be more concours restorations. In addition to those names already mentioned, my hats off to the contributions of these who have helped keep these great cars alive:

Brian Long
Bruce Johnson
Dick Reef and the other guy
Hussey IV
Stoddard
Restoration Design
Paternie (don't have his book but probably)

BTW Has anyone mentioned:
Patrick Motorsports
Rod Simpson
Rich Johnson
Perry Keihl
Old 08-20-2002, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

One list - the race Winners. There is no other list

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 08-20-2002, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Ron, you need to be a bit more selective on your list. The race winners don't do you much good if they won't talk to you....

In addition to knowing your s**t, you have to be willing and able to communicate it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-21-2002, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

'Tis true winners won't talk to you UNTIL you earn their respect. The information they have (less specific tricks) has been published in enough books to choke a horse.

Spend hours in libraries, buy and read EVERYONE's book. Then start spending money trying the ideas. Some will suck; some will make you faster. Along the way, you will make costly errors, but you will learn.

After this process you just might start nipping thier front quarter in a race. When they see you beside them - you will become their friend real fast. Once you pass them and take their plastic flag on a wooden stick - They will start hanging around your pits.

To be damn sure, if I have spent a ton of time and money to be #1, I'm sure as hell not going to give you the tricks for free. I may give you hints and I will build a car/engine for you. It's up to you to take it apart and understand what was done.

There are racers and also-rans. When you want to commit the time, energy and money to the cause you will earn respect. The rest are just "groupies" living a vicarious experience.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Movers and Shakers:

When my 914 moves - I pat myself on the back.

When it shakes - I find someone to blame.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sheeeeeeet Howdy! "Long Necks & Long Horns; Nowhere but Texas"

That was a GREAT answer!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I move my car around from one garage to the other with the help of my boys. (pushing and steering)
And I shake the dust out of my broom after I sweep under the car. I bench race alot. Does this qualify?
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Roland Kunz should make this hall of fame....
Old 08-23-2002, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: