Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiper return??

Hi all. Well I ripped my gas tank out yesterday to see if I could fix my wipers so they will return to the "off" position when I turn the switch off. After alot of F@#king around I noticed an empty relay slot in the front trunk beside the wiper motor. Lucky me! The PO had left such a relay in the glove box. After I put in the relay the wipers will stay on low speed when I turn the switch off and not shut off. I have taken the wiper assembley all apart and checked all the contacts and greased every thing up. Still will not shut off. Does any one know what relay is supposed to be there? Are there different kinds of relays (the one I used is a tall square one)? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? Thank you for your help, Dave
Old 08-20-2002, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have two of those relays and neither work. Is this part NLA?
Old 08-20-2002, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What you have there is a rare intermittent wiper setup for the 914. Have fun locating a new relay, and if you do find one hold on to your wallet cuz your going for a ride. I've been quoted 90 bucks (give or take) for a new one from VW.

The issue is do you have the wiper switch set up properly? If you look at the steering column cover you will notice a small knock out that will allow the switch to be positioned below the standard stop point. This is the intermittent position.

All the way at the top is high speed, next down is low speed, next down is off (stop) bottom is intermittent (7 sec delay)

If the wipers will not stop at all you may have a bad relay. OR, the lower left screw for the wiper / turn indicator cluster may be missing or stripped. This is important because it is the ground for the wipers. is the ground is bad the wipers will not shut off.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I took the relay appart and though it looked pretty complex. My wiper switch will not go down, it only goes to med. or fast speed. Is there any way I can make my wipers intermintant? Would be a nice option. I am an electronics tech so I can fix the relay components. If I fix the relay will it make my wipers work right? Thank you for your help, Dave
Old 08-20-2002, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I found this "flick wipe" relay in a parts car, so I installed it in my wife's 74, 1.8, using the diagram on page 165 of the Haynes manual. There are several new wires that must be run from the relay socket to connections on the wiper mechanizm. In addition, there are two wires imbeded in the factory wiring that must be pried out in order to complete the wiring. One of these wires is the BN/BK wire off pin S1 of the wiper switch (see it on page 166 of the Haynes) and the other is the GN/WH wire off pin 53e of the wiper switch (see page 166 and 165) which is converted to a BL/BK wire that goes to pin 53m of the relay socket. I cliped out the plastic detent at the lower section of the wiper switch on the steering colume and the sucker worked.
Phil
Old 08-21-2002, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

COOL!! I got my wiper delay relay working and it solved all my problems. Now I have wiper delay also!! All I had to do was cut out the piece of plastic that stoped my wiper switch from going down, didn't even need to take appart the dash or switch. The problem with the relay was a bad damper diode. It does not need to be in the relay for the relay to work. As best I can tell if you remove this diode from the relay it will work with no problems, but only time will tell. Iff you take the relay cover off it is a small yellow diode very close to the board near the top. One end is soldered in to the board and the other end has a long wire covered by yellow heat shrink that runs to the other side of the board. If you clip this yellow wire the relay should work as long as that was the problem. Give it a try, you can't wreck an already broken relay. Thanks for your help, Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

One of my relays works except on warm days. After driving around on a sunny day for a while the wipers start going automagically.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: