Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Oil pressure sensor & gauge

I would like to add a VDO oil pressure gauge to my center console.
Can anyone provide part numbers for appropriate gauge and sensor for a '73 2.0?

TIA
Matt
Old 08-20-2002, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't remember the part numbers, but when I fitted this gauge I used a 911 pressure sender (same M10x1.0 thread and is made by VDO)
Trouble is the sender fouls the distributor body so you'll have to find an appropriate oil hose.
VDO make a "T" piece so you can still run the oil pressure switch to operate the light on your dash.
The gauge I used is from a Golf GTI (VDO -measured in BAR) alternative cars would be the 944/924
Cheers

Last edited by thesey914; 08-20-2002 at 11:01 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I thought I had heard about a pressure sensor / switch that had two terminals; one for the analog signal (sensor), and one for the idiot light (switch).

Also, I thought the stock switch has a 1/8" NPT thread. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

- Matt
Old 08-21-2002, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think if you look right in the Pelican catalog you'll see the dual sender (light/gauge). I have been told it is a 1/8" NPT also, and it's just what it looked like when I changed my sender a few months ago. A straight thread like an M10 x 1.0 would require a shoulder and a washer/gasket/etc. to seal properly, whereas the tapered pipe thread finally gets tight as it goes down into the hole and seals things up.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup to all of the above.

The sender is too large, so get the "adaptor kit" (a bracket, some hose, and an adaptor) or DIY with some grease-gun hose. Make sure to ground the case of the sender...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-21-2002, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK...
Finally found the gauge and sensors in the PP catalog.
Last question: 80 or 150 psi for a stock 2.0L?

- Matt
Old 08-21-2002, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
80 PSI. A stock Type IV engine shouldn't get that high when the oil is warmed up. Cold oil can, but the 80 PSI gauge is fine for normal running.

--DD

Old 08-21-2002, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Will98D
I have been told it is a 1/8" NPT also, and it's just what it looked like when I changed my sender a few months ago. A straight thread like an M10 x 1.0 would require a shoulder and a washer/gasket/etc. to seal properly
The thread is M10x1.0. ( I'm 99% sure -the VDO "T" piece was labelled M10x1.0 on its packaging too) -NPT is American national pipe thread and is imperially measured. The 914 is built in Germany and therefore uses metric threads.
You are right about the straight thread needing a washer to seal it -the sender on the 911 has a crush washer/shoulder.
Cheers
Old 08-21-2002, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Now for the funny part--
There is no standard for metric tapered (pipe) thread. So they use US standards instead.

The fitting in the 914 case was originally a metric size (M6??), tapered thread. But that is very close to a US size (if M6 is correct, that's 1/4") that the US size works just fine. More than fine enough, in fact--and most or all of the aftermarket VDO senders you can get are actually the US size!

--DD

Old 08-22-2002, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Dave, well I learn something new everyday......I looked on all my engineering thread charts and no tapered metric threads were listed.
Now I remember, when I screwed the sending units into the VDO "T" piece, they were tapered (they tightened on insertion) but the male end, that screws into the case I'm (98% sure) was a straight thread.....

Not trying to conduct a p*ssing contest, , and if it fits then problem solved
Old 08-22-2002, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: