Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trades? Opinions?

Hello Everybody-
My name is Scott Schroeder and I have been following the different postings on the various 914 pages for the last 18 months or so. I can not begin to thank the numbers of people that have been so helpful in my current restoration. The Pelican pages, parts and service has been outstanding, and the knowledge of the participating enthusiasts is unreal - out weighing 99% of the local shops I have delt with. I have tried to pass along any insight that I have had on different postings, but feel the info I have recieved in return was more beneficial. All of this being well and good, it has created a problem for me. I now own a 72 914 that I am terrified to drive. It has really come out much better than I ever would have imagined, and now has a concours win under it's belt. I have put 3000 miles on the car in 4 years. I have started questioning the reason for owning a car I hardly ever drive, especially (gulp - don't yell at me for this)a 914 that is not worth much and has sort of a questionable heritage (to the general public). I was thinking of putting it up for trade for a 550 spyder replica. After reading the multiple postings on the paint color question recently put forth on this BBS, I figured this group was the one to ask. Please let me know your opinions and, as of this writing, if any of you would be interested in a 550 trade/know of any cars for sale.I have pictures of my car that will be sent to Pelican this week for the photo section.

I think I need a therapist!

Thanks, S Schroeder
Old 06-07-1999, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brian,
Your points are well taken. I think I have an elevated "first rock chip fear". I love having a toy car, I guess I'm just wondering if a toy should be more exotic than a 914. I like being different than the norm (and you almost never see any 914's in Colorado)but when the base model kits (unassembled) can be had for around 10k, and the end result is a 550, or the Ferris Beuler Ferrari, it makes it tempting. My car was definiately not a wreck when I purchased it, but it has come a long way. I guess when you build something and the only thing left to do is to start wearing it out again it gets frustrating. Thanks for the words,Scott.
Old 06-07-1999, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I must agree with Brian here. If your up for questionable heritage there is nothing more questionable than a kit car. The Kit cars resale value after pouring in a bunch of money will probably not net you more than the resale of a nicely restored 914.(I might be wrong depending on what part of the country you are in.) Like Brian says I've seen some very nice 550 spyder kits when done RIGHT.(read=$$$$) All in all beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you need a trophy, spring for a well taken care of 911 or 928. A 914 is a well engineered, race bred, all out handling machine(with a little love and care!) that if you like driving is a highly enjoyable car. You make the choice.
~MARK

[This message has been edited by 914fanatic (edited 06-07-99).]
Old 06-07-1999, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Cherish the moment your car achived concourse status. It's down hill from here. Do your self a favor. Hire a profsesional photographer, fill the garage with wall to wall pictures of the car, then get out and enjoy it! And BTW who said you can't have both cars! Your mom's not stopping you is she? (kidding JEEEESS!! 914's don't cost so much that you have to refinance your house to own one, so i'm sure your not making payments on the thing every month. If you want a 550 start shopping around. When you find the right car move the 914 over a stall and buy it. Theres a very good chance of finding one someone gave up on. then you could focus on the next perfect car and enjoy the 914.
(the opinions posted here are mine!)

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 06-07-99).]
Old 06-07-1999, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies. Today I blew out of the office to drive a "perfect" 550 replica. The guy said it was an older Beck Spyder. It looked unbeleivable (it had the little driver only windshield and the long deck lid headrest) and was quicker than my 2.0. It seemed to be built very well. HOWEVER, those who say the fit and finish on a 914 is not up to Porsche standards needs to drive one of these. My (our) 914's are cadillacs compared to the reproduction stuff. My top may squeak a little, and if I put my finger on the door gap when the top is off, I can feel the tolerances slightly change, but this was different. The front hood flexed and lifted at speed, and the rear clamshell banged around like crazy even after cranking down the leather straps. Granted, a car from the 50's (replica or not) was a little less refined, even by 1970's standards. Anyway, I'm keepin the 914 (I did make the guy a low ball offer. It still was a really cool ride - just needs dialing in?!!)
Scott
Old 06-17-1999, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You know what I mean .
-S
Old 06-21-1999, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned

I once had a BMW motorcycle that someone called the "Cadillac of Motorcycles". I DID NOT consider it an insult.

American cars, made the world go 'round. Everything else, is modified by US.
Old 06-21-1999, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: