Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question '70 914 race seat install question

The Corbra seat post brought up a question I've been pondering for awhile.

I have a 1970 914/6, as you know, only the drivers seat has sliders and the passenger side bottom was just mounted over a few bolts.

I bought a pair of Corbeau Forza seats and the 914 seat adapters, but can't figure out how to mount them. Following the Pelican tech article, the drivers side looks easy, but the passenger side isn't described (at least not on '70 or '72 car)

At this point, I'm thinking of just trying to bolt the seat to the floor, drilling the 4 holes required and installing back plated on the bolts. What about the cross beam? I'm hesitant about drilling those holes as I don't have the cage in yet and am not sure how much room it'll occupy.

Looking for any BTDT thoughts, comments, etc.

TIA,
Old 08-21-2002, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The adaptors are only for the driver's side, and the 72+ passenger's side. With a 70 or 71, you're stuck. Unless you want to weld in the bits on the floorpan that the seat brackets bolt up to.

Hard-mounting the seat is one option. Don't cut out the cross-member unless you have other reinforcement in place. Figure out some way around it. You'll need to do something about the backpad as well; I assume the later style one just bolts in... But that should give you more room to fit the seat behind the cross-member.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-21-2002, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Dave, that's what I was thinking. The backpad isn't a problem as I'll just carpet the firewall.

Another though is a set of 911 sliders that came with the seat, but even those look like a lot of fabrication will be required.

The hard part about all this is that I still don't have my car back to look at.

Does anyone know how much room I need between the firewall and the seat to allow for a cage? I will be using either a Safety Devices with the V or a custom fabricated one in the same style.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I never put in a right side race seat, just let the passengers hold on!!! I'd recommend putting the cage in first to make sure the door bar will miss the seat, be a big pain to have to remount the seat. When I did mine (for the article) the cage was in and then I test mounted the seat with all drilling, etc and before mounting all of permately. I also used some black auto carpet on the firewall. I got it a large fabric outlet, 40 inches wide and made it in 3 pieces. I'd recommend using good brush on contact cement as the spray on stuff did not last. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
There is an article around someplace which describes how to make your own seat bracket to weld in. Otherwise you can buy the bracket and have it welded in for much less than you paid for the seats....

James

Last edited by red-beard; 08-21-2002 at 09:53 AM..
Old 08-21-2002, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: