Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Coolers

Looking for recommendations on Oil coolers for my six conversion.

Will be front mounted using the GT-style "thorugh the bumper and valance" hole and down through a hole in the front trunk. I will utilize the GT-style front shroud.

What oil cooler manufacturers is anyone using?

Mocal?

B&B (Does anybody know where to get B&B coolers direct other than through the parthouses. They always seem to come as a kit. I just want the cooler without the lines. I'll have my own lines made.

What other brands are recommended?

What size (dimension) is recommended for the front mounted cooler?

I'm thinking of running -12 sized lines.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've been thinking about the same setup you described and was wondering if there is any aerodynamic advantage to having the air outlet through the top of the hood? My car seems to get light over 100mph, will a front cooler exhausting through the top of the hood also give me more downforce on the front end?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't think it will unless you do a bunch of ducting... But I'm not certain on that.

A lot of people like the Rx-7 cooler. Built-in thermostat and everything.

On the oil lines, bigger is better. -16 or even -20 in some cases. These are for race motors, I believe.

Hopefully B will speak up on this, as he has shared some views on oil line sizing in the past...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-21-2002, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The RX-7 oil cooler is $650 new according to the local Mazda dealer. So, obviously you have to go poking around at the salvage yards and maybe pull it yourself. Nuts to that. I've been looking at Earl's Plumbing units. They have a lot of sizes. use the size reccommended by the GT shroud people. They know what fits.

Now, to the meat of the discussion: Where to exhaust the hot air from the cooler. I contend that there is a high pressure area under the front bumper. Enough that it could impair the flow of exhaust air down and out of the spare tire well. Sucking the air out is prefferable and you are only going to accomplish that if you exhaust into a high velosity air stream. This would be in the center of the hood or pehaps further back under the car. I'm thinking of exhausting the air out along the sides and the back of the spare tire well and covering the whole thing with a flat sheet with Dzues (sp?) fasteners.

Light at 100 mph+? Sounds like you would benfit from some addtional aerodynamics at the front. Do you have some type of splitter/valance/dam? The further out and the further down forcing more air over the top of the car for max downforce. There is a balance here. Too much downforce and you will actually go slower.

An air dam at the front would also aid in the exhaust of the air from the cooler should you decide to go ahead with the GT design.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Another way to exhaust the air from the cooler would be through ducting then through the front bulkhead then into the side tunnels and out the rear openings at the engine compt. I think at 120 MPH or so there would be enough air flow to cool the oil down. I watched a couple of POC cars getting the cooler exhaust put into the front deck lid and that is a pretty complicted bit of sheet metal work, out the bottom is much easier but as Milt noted you need the front spoiler to give you the low pressure area.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are a number of tricks that you can use to make a 6er run cool in a 914. If your hp is under 160 (or so), you don't need an external oil cooler.....unless your tracking the thing.

The "tricks" are:

Cut the internal engine air deflectors as shown in BA's book. He says this is good for a 20 deg reduction. You have to remove the fan shroud to get at em'.

Block offs at the front of the shroud, both sides. Drivers side can be done with a piece of sheet metal pop riveted to the original piece. The pass side needs a new piece.....bout 65 bucks...Pelican may carry them. If not, Paul's Speedometer Service.

Insure your air dams at the bottom of the firewall are in place and in good shape.

Remove the rear valence.

My 2.4L 130/140 hp motor got along fine this way.

BTW, I use a Fluidyne cooler and Troutman external thermostat.
It's vented thru holes in the aft, front trunk bulkhead , over the steering rack and below the gas tank bulkhead.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"Light at 100 mph+? Sounds like you would benfit from some addtional aerodynamics at the front. Do you have some type of splitter/valance/dam?"
I do have a front air dam. In fact I have a Chalon body kit with a slant nose front. My experience over 100 is not extensive. A few times on the freeway and I felt it was starting to float a little too much. At the end of the straight on the Streets of Willow, as you head uphill into turn 1, I definately was getting light but there is a strong cross wind hitting the car at the left front fender that's coming into play there. I've always liked the looks of cars that exhaust through the hood and wondered if it helped with downforce. I don't want to overdue it but I think the car would benefit from alittle more. I'm also thinking of trying the small rear ducktail spoiler.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Does anyone here have a RX-7 oil cooler already set up in their car? I just got one (because of the built in thermostat) and was wondering where the best place would be to mount the thing.

~Steven
Old 08-23-2002, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: RX-7 Oil cooler.

Would you want to have the thermostat build into the cooler for a front mounted application? Why would you want to have your oil travel all the way up front, just to realize that it's cool and have to travel all the way back.

Wouldn't you want that oil routing decision to be made closer to the engine by having the thermostat mounted closer to the engine and oil tank?

Just a thought?

Regards,
Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure that it really matters that much since in either aplication the thermostat is serving the same function. I guess from a work perspective it would make more sense to have the thermostat closer to the engine, but since we ar not (I think) worried so much about work rather than cooling my thinking is that it really doesn't matter either way. Plus now I don't have to spend $120 on a thermostat plus what I bought the cooler for. (by the way I got this one for $50 used). Anyways, thoes are my thoughts. Now I just have to figure out how to mount the darn blasted thing!

~Steven
Old 08-23-2002, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Cool Re: Oil Coolers

I did a conversion two years ago and have had good success with the following setup. I purchased large rubber oil line from a local supply house that specialized in truck parts. You will need approximately 30'. There is also another product on the market that is blue in color. This line can be purchased locally in the Atlanta area from Fastlane (oval track racing supplier). The line I used is three layers rubber, braid and rubber. I purchased 12AN fittings (the type that slide into the oil line) for the connections to the cooler. For the connection to the engine you will need to purchase a fitting which will fit the oil spigot on the case. I purchased a used oil hose and cut the fitting off of it and attached it to my new oil line. I would suggest you double clamp all of your fittings with good quality aeroseal type clamps. I ran my oil lines to the front of the car thru the heater ducts in the side rails. You will need to first fish the ducts with heavy nylon cord or mule tape. You can not push the oil lines thru you must pull them. A workable pulling eye for the oil line can be fashioned from plumbers strap and duct tape (redneck chrome). I learned it is easier to pull the oil line from the front to back. Also it is a two man job one person feeding the oil line into the heater duct entrance in the car and one pulling in the engine bay. You will need to remove the gas tank to properly route the oil lines into the front trunk area. My car does not have heat so I used the heater vent openings directly above the heater duct exits to route from the cockpit to the trunk. Additionally you will need to hole saw an opening in the bulkhead that seperates the fuel tank area of the front trunk from the storage area of the trunk. This should be done below the fuel tank. Again do not attempt to do this with the fuel tank in the car. It could go Booooooom!!!!!! In the front of the 914 behind the bumper you have probably noticed some round plugs you can pop out as many of these as required to get are to your cooler. I am using the center one and the left and right adjacent ones to get air to the cooler and the two additional ones I have attached ducts which run through the fender welds and provide air to the front brakes. You should mount your cooler directly behind these openings leaving a few inches of seperation between the openings and the cooler. I used a rather small cooler approximately 9" H x 18"w. There are tons of coolers on the market you can spend a bunch of money or a small amount of money. Personally I would not invest heavily I think a moderately priced cooler will do the job. It has for me. Now that you are getting air in you must get it out. I cut out the two large round disk in the trunk floor for air exhaust. You must do this or all of the air you are jetting into the trunk will come blasting into the cockpit with you. Been there done that, you will be amazed at how much air you are letting into the car. Also you will need to build a baffle or buy a shroud which will direct the air from behind the cooler at the exhaust holes. Before I put a fuel cell in my front trunk (my car is a race car) I built a simple cooler box out of plywood and attached a baffle plate also built from plywood. All you want to do is direct the air it will take care of the rest. Thats the big picture let me know if you need more details. One last thought be careful not to pinch the oil lines with the gas tank during the gas tank reinstallation process.

Quote:
Originally posted by kellzey
Looking for recommendations on Oil coolers for my six conversion.

Will be front mounted using the GT-style "thorugh the bumper and valance" hole and down through a hole in the front trunk. I will utilize the GT-style front shroud.

What oil cooler manufacturers is anyone using?

Mocal?

B&B (Does anybody know where to get B&B coolers direct other than through the parthouses. They always seem to come as a kit. I just want the cooler without the lines. I'll have my own lines made.

What other brands are recommended?

What size (dimension) is recommended for the front mounted cooler?

I'm thinking of running -12 sized lines.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by kellzey
Re: RX-7 Oil cooler.

Would you want to have the thermostat build into the cooler for a front mounted application? Why would you want to have your oil travel all the way up front, just to realize that it's cool and have to travel all the way back.
Regards,
You're assuming that there is a by-pass. Is there? On the engine adaptor plate with the t-stat, the oil is returned to the motor until it's hot enough. I agree w/ the statement above. better to have the t-stat on the motor or close.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Used oil cooler.... maker sure it is clean inside, steamed and/or ultrasound are the cleaning techniques I believe.... Car it came out of may could well have left debris in the cooler...

Alternatively, run a filter at the outlet of the cooler to filter any residual crap that comes out... only remaining problem is if that oil filter has a bypass and it kick in just when old junk is coming out of the car.

Not likely...
Old 08-23-2002, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I've got a remote oil filter (probably gonna be mounted behind the back engine tin on the right side of the car. I'm also not quite understanding what you guys mean by a bypass. As far as I know there is none. Is this gonna pose a problem with the thermostat up front?
I'm also thinking the best way to mount the oil cooler is up front right behind the gromet holes. I hoped I could mount it in the bumper but it is too big to fit and if I were to cut a hole for it it would stick way out. Now I have to drill holes in my brand new re-painted front trunk But at least I'll have a nice and cool engine c'est la vie!

~Steven
Old 08-23-2002, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: