Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pics of carpeted interior firewall

Has anyone (due to installing aftermarket seats or for other reasons), removed the backpad and insulating pad and carpeted the interior firewall?

If so, do you have some pics to share? I'd like to know how it looks.

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2002, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Sorry this isnít a very good pic. I'm 6'4" and the added 1" or so in legroom was needed. You actually get a bunch of elbowroom also.

I put 1/4" foam on the firewall for sound absorption but I don't think it was necessary. The noise all seems to come from out side the car. (dual noisemakers)
Old 08-22-2002, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Stupid me! Here's the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back carpet.jpg (48.7 KB, 1525 views)
Old 08-22-2002, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can check out picture #7 with my article on installing a 914 race seat at: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_seat_install/914_seat_install.htm as it shows the rear bulkhead with black carpet attached.
A couple of things to be careful of are: If you drill holes cut the carpet away from the area so it won't snag in the drill bit, use a good grade of contact cement to hold it and when done vacuum well as the fuzz generated by cutting the carpet gets everywhere. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
what about the light...

The carpet looks nice in place of the backpad. Did any of you use an alternative mounting point for the interior light?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How about a late model something (GM?) rear view mirror with the lights built in? It seems like this would be in a nice spot for a 914 light with the height and slope of the windshield.

My car is too far apart to test this out, but I have thought about doing this as it is not very invasive and could be returned to stock easily. The stock light just sucks so bad and then they always pop out to add insult to injury.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dman... I'm also 6'-4" and have the back pad out. When I put on the parking brake, the cables push the seat up about an inch. Have you experienced this, or is something amiss with the routing of my cables? (they do go through the guide piece on the floor up to the handle).
Old 08-22-2002, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
One local has the carpet-only version of the backpad. He took a flush-mount dome light from some other car and mounted it in the stock location. He ran the wires under the carpet, possibly along the edge. Looked pretty nice, actually...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-22-2002, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I figured, you could mount a 12V pod-type interior light on the interior rear rollbar pad and run the wiring up behind the panel where the seatbelt top mount is and behind and through the interior rollbar pad.

Or, install a late model interior rear-view mirror with the light built into it and run the wire to it! Would be cool!

Just thinking...

Karl
Old 08-22-2002, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My plan for the interior light was to mount the stock one under the dash. I figured all I would need is a small rectangular hole. I don't know if this would allow enough light or not though. I also thought of getting a "rally" light and mounting it in the location of the coat hook. I've seen shorter arms on a few rally lights so it wouldn't bee much of a problem for passengers.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
When I first put the carpet in I was going to rig up the light but it's been a year and I kinda forgot about it. Besides you always have that goofy light in the engine comartment and it is always on!

Will, I don't have a problem with the p-brake, maybe because I tilt the top of the set back. I don't have the butt pushed all the way back.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: