Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Suspension Set-Up

The hot set-up for 914's used to be with the rear of the car lower than the front. That was accomplished by using aftermarket springs that would lower the rear approx 2" I'm thinking the theory is that it would help since the bias of the weight for the car is toward the rear. Mine handles well this way, but of course I'm open to discussion on this, thanks

Chuck :
Old 08-22-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'm not sure if there was a question in there or not...

Most of the discussions I have seen/heard seem to be dominated by the opinion that the suspension works best when the A-arms and the trailing arms are parallel to the ground. This makes the toe and camber changes symmetrical in bump and droop, and also keeps them relatively small.

Nose-high or tail-high, however the car sits with the suspension bits parallel to the ground.

Then again, the difference is not that huge on the street. So the most important thing is that the car sits however the owner likes it.

BTW, the cars were originally set nose-high primarily to meet US bumper height requirements.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
skcscm,
Where did you come up with that? The car should be level or nearly level with the road. Dropping the rear two inches will make the car totally unbalanced. Take a look at the cars in the gallery and you wouldn't (or shouldn't) find any with thier noses in the air.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 08-23-2002, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

everyone is entitled to their own opinion... so here is mine and don't take any offense...

I've always... seen, heard, been instructed, and just plain learned through trial and error... that its better to have the nose slightly lower in the front of the car.... a small amount of downward rake in the car.....

of course having the suspension set up correctly as per dave's comments is included in this set up...

the local alignment and tire shop here also proposes this set up...
and these guys do know from where they speak...

they sponsored and set up dave ferguson's car for years back when he lived in colorado and when he and his wife ellen were competing at the national level in solo.....
plus this shop supports alot of vintage hardware at the national level too... they've been at montery with customer cars... Heck, one saturday I took my measly 914 wheel down for a flat repair and while I was standing there they were installing new tires on a ferarri, as set of real halibrand cobra knock offs, and a set of magnisuim bugatti wheels.. all at the same time... (not something you see every day..)

brant

Last edited by Brant; 08-23-2002 at 07:33 AM..
Old 08-23-2002, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hmmm, I think the only reason you've seen any 914's with the @ss end 2" lower than the front was due to the owner not putting in new springs when the stock, weak units started to sag.

The owners being too cheap to buy new rear springs or not knowing replacement units are available. IMHO

Sure your car handles okay, but when a 914 is properly setup the differance between the front and the back is not that drastic.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How come in practically every original Porsche photo of 914/4s and 914/6es we see the nose up?

Old 08-23-2002, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dave mentioned the bumper height laws...
I've heard this before...
I think the nose is up for legalities and not for performance....

brant
Old 08-23-2002, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Is the nose really 'up', or is it an illusion from the difference in fender cutout shapes?

The rockers seem roughly parallel to the ground in those pics.

If the undertray is really sloping from higher to lower, that could sure lead to some spooky aerodynamics...as well as looking goofy.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-23-2002, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Chris, I don't know the answer but people often refer to that as nose high and then resort to lowering the front of their car. I'm guess that when measured at the rockers most people have the front lower than the rear.

I know it looks crazy but the examples of factory pictures where the nose looks high are so numerous. Here's another:

Old 08-23-2002, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I agree that the nose looks high, just was questioning whether it truly is from an objective standpoint. I still think it looks goofy...both of my teeners (former & current) were lowered and corner balanced and look a whole lot better IMHO.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-23-2002, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My car looks just like the cars in the pics. The car is so original that I'd guess that the ride height had last been touched at the factory. For kicks I measured the rockers front and rear on my goofy nose high car and they are even.

I think the question that needs to be asked is what front ride height (which should affect the front/rear weight ratio and corner balance) results in the fastest car. With a street car I'd go for looks (within reason). I'm going to lower the car maybe an inch after I put the Carrera suspension on just so that it looks like it's even. With an autocross/track car I'd go with whatever was fastest regardless of whether it looked goofy or not.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: