Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Widest tire for 5.5x15 w/stock fenders

Is it possible to get the wide Fuchs 5 lug look with stock 4-lug alloys?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Not sure what you mean by the "wide look"...

Certain paint/polish treatments probably make a given type of wheel look narrower or wider, I suppose.

Regarding tires, most folks' experience is that a 205 is the widest tire that will reliably fit on most 914's. Every car is a bit different, and it depends heavily on which wheels you've got. (Fuchs are the best OE wheels overall; aftermarket wheels like Rivieras and Empis can have serious tire fitment limitations.)

A 195/65 or 195/60 tire is probably the best bet for street use; a 205/50 for track use.

My car has 215/60's on the back, with no rolling or flaring, but that is a bit unusual. A 215 or even a 205 is really too large for a 5.5" wheel, but is doable.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-23-2002, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They are the 5.50x15 MOMOs in the thread '? alloy rim'

I have 165 SR 15s now, which is recommended stock. They sure do look skinny. I love the fat wheel look of the fuchs 5-lugs I've seen in pics of cars of members of this forum. I guess I'll just have to try 205s and see if it helps. Will 205s fit under stock rear fenders ok?

Thanks for your help.

Joel
Old 08-23-2002, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you search the archives you will find the answer, along with many pictures for examples.

The short answer is (for factory alloys) 195 on all cars, 205 on some cars.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wide tires

I'm running 205/50/15's and they fit quite nicely. They have the fat tire low squat look and perform incredibly. The tires are Nitto directional. Since I put them on the handling & stability of the car is simply amazing compared to the 165's that were on it. I'll never go back to stock!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 08-23-2002, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I dropped some 195/65's on mine last week. There is room but no way could I go 205
Old 08-23-2002, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Joel, your wheels may have been made for Bugs. If so, then you won't be able to fit more than a 165-width tire under the stock fenders on them.

The backspacing for the stock alloys is about 4 3/4". Backspacing is the distance from the back edge of the rim (the part closest to the centerline of the car) to the plane where the wheel mounts to the hub. Bug wheels have a much smaller amount of backspacing.

Check yours and see.

Often, 205s will not fit under stock fenders on the aftermarket alloy wheels. They do sometimes, but often they do not. A 195-width tire will fit on most cars with most aftermarket wheels that are not Bug wheels.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-23-2002, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think your right. These wheels were for Beetles, but of course everyone knew they would bolt up to a 914-4. It looks like I don't have a mm to spare in the rear wells. I'm not dragging anything now. Better not push it. Front would be no problem, but of course I want fatness in the back most. Doggonit! One day I'm just going to have to do it right and do a 5-lug conversion and buy some Fuchs. I know they have 4-lug, but I really like the look of the 5. Maybe the next time I need tires. Brakes should be ready by then too.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: