Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone use a camber caster tool?

I see these "magnetic" camber caster tools on ebay from time to time. I'm wondering if anyone has used one successfully. It seems like it would be easier to use than the methods I've seen the Pelican DIY tech articles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849870620

Old 08-24-2002, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, since I wrote one of the articles, I'll tell you what I do. I use the methods in the article for putting the suspension back together such as when I put in new rear buchings. I also use it at the race track should I hit something or go off road (of course I never do!!!). All other times I have a shop align and corner balance it as I don't think I can do it well enough. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Tools like that can make the job a lot easier. But the question is, how useable are they?

Magnets don't stick well to aluminum wheels. You may be able to put them on the bearing caps, but those aren't flat. You may be able to put them on the brake rotor through a hole in the wheel... Or you may find a much better way to get the tool to stay where you need it. If so, it will probably make things easier.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-25-2002, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

>>But the question is, how useable are they?

Hey, that's why I'm asking!

My intention is to get everything mostly right after I put the 911 front suspension on my car before I take it in for an alignment.

John, I like your tech article. How did you get the nice straight bend in the aluminum sheet metal?

One thing I never see mentioned is in the DIY home alignments is the caster angle. Should I just mark the position of the strut at the top mounting point and put the others back in approximately the same position?

The other problem I'm seeing is that one of the top strut mounting bolts (on the passenger side) is totally obscured by the gas tank. Will I be able to easily lift the tank out of the way?
Old 08-25-2002, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you are going to spend some $$$$, I'd recommend getting the combo shear and metal brake like I used to make that nice bend in the aluminum. To use something like that you have to have a prefectly level floor and an afternoon to kill to get the alignment right. Harbor Freight has a great combo tool, even though it is Chinese I know of a couple of race fab shops in San Diego that use them. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: