Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Boxster transmission on 914 anyone?

Hello pelicanites. I am in the very early stages of experimenting with an adapter kit that will mate a boxster 5-speed transmission to a type 4 (914) engine. I started this project because I am very unhappy with the original tail shift tranny on my '72 914. I upgraded to a side shift transaxle but still i am not satisfied with the "feel" of the gears engaging.

Photos show the mock-up of this setup and hope to advance this project, if time permits, in a month's time. I already have the correct pressure plate & clutch disc and the next thing to do is to fabricate the customized flywheel.

The purpose of this project is to eventually come up with a working "adapter kit" which I can sell since boxter 5-speed trannies are becoming quite abundant & affordable. I also plan on fabricating a flywheel that can be mated to a non-EFI porsche 6 engines since they the same mounting holes/pattern on the type 4 engines... Comments, suggestions are highly welcome...

Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Where is the starter? I believe that on the Box, it goes on the engine side. On the 914, it goes on the transmission side.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi dave, it will be located on the tranny side. A portion of the tranny will have to be cut out to accommodate the starter. A spacer-bracket will have to be fabricated also so that the type4/flat 6 starter sits as far out from the tranny as possible so as to minimize its intrusion into the tranny.

Right now, the most feasible location I see is on the 12 o'clock position. As mentioned prior, this is on it's very early stages of the project and a lot of "experimentation" has to be done. So i have prepared two 5-speed trannies as candidates for this project..

The boxster S transmission seems like an easier tranny to work with because a lot of the parts from existing 911 models can be utilized. But unfortunately, only the 5-speeds are very accessible for me.

I am taking the measurements of the flywheel this weekend and take it to the machine shop after.

Last edited by junjun11; 02-10-2014 at 07:27 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Looks like you'll have to cut out the trunk to fit that in. A bit of an overkill for a type IV, but if you can make work with a high hp 911 engine, that might be a good alternative to a 915 or 930 box.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 02-10-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Slow internet/double post, sorry...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Its a lot easier to just re-work the stock transmission to have a cable shifter.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Lorenzoscribe

Nostril Cheese,
Some time ago, I found a cable shift do it yourself website for the tail shift 914 using a shifter head from a Mitsubishi Eclipse, a couple of push pull cables and some fabbed brackets. The citation is Porsche 914 cableshifter DIY.

Is that the cable shifter you are referring to, or have you seen something else. I would be very interested in alternative ideas on cable shifters.

Larry Steckel
1971 Porsche 914.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In more recent decades, people have used a Boxster cable shift setup. I think the cables are even pretty close to the right lengths. Might be an easier alternative in some cases.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoscribe View Post
Nostril Cheese,
Some time ago, I found a cable shift do it yourself website for the tail shift 914 using a shifter head from a Mitsubishi Eclipse, a couple of push pull cables and some fabbed brackets. The citation is Porsche 914 cableshifter DIY.

Is that the cable shifter you are referring to, or have you seen something else. I would be very interested in alternative ideas on cable shifters.

Larry Steckel
1971 Porsche 914.
It's just geometry and a lot of measuring. I've seen a variety of different approaches.

Use the cable ends off the stock Boxster cables and have some cables made up to the length you want.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Resident Electrician

Garage
Boxster cables are the perfect length. I use them on my 5 & 6 speeds in the 914. Boxster shifters are cheap.
72 914, Ford 5.0L V8 EFI
Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What transmission are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bellis View Post
Boxster cables are the perfect length. I use them on my 5 & 6 speeds in the 914. Boxster shifters are cheap.
Mike, what 5-speed or more interestingly, what 6-speed are you using in a 914? And behind what engine?

Please elaborate.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Resident Electrician

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9146 View Post
Mike, what 5-speed or more interestingly, what 6-speed are you using in a 914? And behind what engine?

Please elaborate.
I have an Audi 1.8T with a 012, 5 speed or a 466 Getrag 6 speed. The 012 is the same as a Boxster 5 speed from most years. The 466 is a 2005-2008 Cayman S /Boxster S 6 speed. They have the same bolt patterns which work on Porsche or Audi engines.

I run a Boxster 5 speed shifter for both transmissions. I did clearance it and add a short **** kit. I use Boxster cables for the 5 speed and Cayman S cables for the 6 speed.

They both use the same slave cylinder with a WIlwood master cylinder up front.

The 012 has 100mm flanges and the 466 has 108mm flanges.

Read my build thread for more info.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=187914
72 914, Ford 5.0L V8 EFI
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
1967 frankenporsch

Junjun
Have you thought on a Subaru gearbox?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Got it to work

Hi everyone. Well, i did eventually get it to work here is what i did: (also note that this was for a 904 replica)

1.) Fabricated and adapter plate

2.) Fabricated a flywheel to work with a Mazda/ford starter because the boxster bellhousing wasnt deep enough to take a regular starter. The mazda/ford starter had it's gear offset to the edge of the starter body, hence clearing the shallow boxster tranny profile.

3.) Used a clutch disc and pressure plate from a 92-98 Audi A4. The boxster setup is a DMF and the Audi's was an SMF so it worked well with the custom flywheel.

4.) Had to cut out a notch on the tranny because as mentioned by Dave, the starter on the TYPE IV is on the tranny side.

5.) Utilized boxster axles (shortened). Aparently, the boxter stub axles have a 40mm OD. Both cars actually used same rear wheel bearings!! So it just slipped right through.

6.) Utilized boxster shifter and cable along with the tranny.

Pros:
-Boxster-like precise shifting. Hard to miss a gear.

Cons:
-Gearing not compatible with the TYPE IV. Had to reduce tire size significantly.
-Boxster tranny was much larger than the 914 tranny. So it had clearance issues on the frame.
-Starter orientation is on the wrong side.
-Lots of custom fabrication

Was it all worth it for the purpose of better shifting: Driving experience, YES! Car shifts like a dream. Cost? NO! but then again, that is always the case with R&D. As mentioned, it would be best to pair it with the 6-cyl, up to the 2.7 engine. If it's for the 3.0 and 3.2, better to go with the Boxter S tranny.

I will end up using a custom cable shifter on a tail shift tranny since the Boxster tranny was too big for the 904 frame.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice project.
Please update with more pictures.
I have been looking at this myself. My plan was to take off the bellhousing on a 911 transmission and cut part out from the boxster transmission. But this has just been in my mind.

Will be nice to see how you solved the starter.
If you placed the starter on top, will it then fit under the 914 ?

Looking for updates. Very interresting. The boxster transmission can take more power than the 901, and they are very cheap (same as audi/vw)
1986 944 Turbo
Old 10-27-2017, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: