Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Big Sur, broken accel. cbl., no cell svc., $39 pay-phone charge for 3 minutes of talk

I got the opportunity to change my accelerator cable TWICE this weekend.

We drove to Pfeifer Big Sur state park to hike to the waterfall. Immediately after leaving the park my accelerator cable broke. I had taken all my tools and spare stuff out of my car previously. My son reached over the roll-bar and gassed it for me in order to get to Fernwood resort / Campsite which was only about 100 yards away.

I had two spare cables brought to me. Just my luck that I would install the used one which turned out to be bad... I should have remembered why I removed that cable! Fortunately the second cable was brand new and it took us about half the time to install it... but as luck would have it when I pressed on the clutch the motor revved. I had to re-route the cable, THEN we were on our way.

The tavern at Fernwood turned into a hoppin' joint around 10... yeah, we were stranded there long enough to eat dinner, fix the car, have two beers, and enjoy the live band. Lot's of flannel wearin' clientele there.

It total it was about a 6 hour ordeal from break-down to walking in my door at home. It wasn't a bad place to break down and I got a new cable installed so I wasn't completely distraught.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brings back memories. I stopped to help a 356er about 35 years ago right along there. Made him a throttle rod out of a coat hanger. A few years before that, my boss and I put chain tensioners in a 914/6 in the parking lot across from the River Inn. Glad to hear you were able to get back on the road in a decent amount of time!

The Cap'n
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So who did you talk to at $13 per minute????? Who charged this kind of money for a phone call?????
Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pay phones out in the sticks ...........................

The Cap'n
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yep... damn payphone. It was deceiving. There were ads on the phone stating "$2 per minute worldwide." I called Kansas City. My GF and I didn't bother to switch cell numbers when we moved to CA from MO and AZ. Seems pointless... unless ofcourse you happen to be calling via a payphone! The first call went to voice-mail so I hung up... that was about $18. The second call I talked about 2 minutes or so. I feel like I got robbed.

Turns out the resort had free Wi-Fi so I was able to connect via Vonage for the rest of the evening.

Geek-out moment: After 8 years with Verizon paying about $80 per month I switched to T-Mobile's $30 plan: 100 Minutes, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data. I installed Vonage Mobile for free on my Android phone and now I use the unlimited data plan to dial with Vonage.... and yes, when I call phones via Vonage, my phone number shows up. It came in pretty handy since WiFi was the ONLY way I could call out in Big Sur that day.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When we hiked the Point Sur lighthouse tour last summer I realized that no one in my family could use our T-mobiles or Sprints. Go figure that there is an AT+T cell tower on the same mountain top as the lighthouse. AT+T users were in perfect cell range. The cell tower is camoflaged as a big water tower !
The pay phones along Coast Hwy. 1 are a rip, but a lifesaver when your cell service goes away. Fernwood is a great gathering spot, occasionally a meeting place for Pelicans during Monterey car week.
Good cable fix as well !
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: