Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

dash removal

the dash is one of the last things to get off my poor '73 before it's cut into the final pieces for the trash run. it appears as though I have it ready to remove, yet it won't pull off. it is however somewhat loose even though both ends are still somehow secured. any ideas what I missed?
Old 09-10-2002, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Jeez, we just R&R'd the dash on my car last weekend, but I can't remember how many nuts there were.

Did you get the two SOB ones above the gauge cluster?

There are also two forward-facing (studs are parallel to ground) ones in the fresh air vent areas; one per side IIRC.

Not a fun task...it was not bad on my car with no center console, radio, or ventilation, but on a full street configuration I can only imagine the finger-mangling torture.
2000 Audi S4 6-speed | daily driver
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-10-2002, 08:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks, I swear I think I got them all, but obviously I didn't. I'll take another look tomorrow at the spots you mention. thankfully I can reach my arms into most spots, but it is a pain indeed. I had no idea it would be such a struggle. at least the dash is perfect with no cracks, makes it worth the while.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

If you pull out the gauge panel (6 screws) you will see the two nastiest ones.

Also, be very careful pulling the dash out of the car and moving it around. The cover is (usually) extremely brittle from age/sun and cracks easily. My dash was already not great, but after the additional handling it cracked more.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks for the handling advice, knowing me I would have cracked it for sure. yeah I have the gauge panel off, I must have got those two already.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Soak it big time with WD40.. it will soften it.

Let me know if you needs pics of where the studs are in the dash. I have plenty of them out of cars right now.

B
Old 09-11-2002, 01:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

thanks, let me do some more digging and probing tomorrow, I'll let you know if I need a pic. sounds like maybe I didn't get those, but I can't remember, doing too much tear down...

can't believe the SF garbage collectors often won't take my yard waste, yet they are taking my 914 a few chucks at a time. LOL.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Man.. that is just wrong. The CA. tree huggers would hang you if they knew you where sending car pieces to the bay (I mean dump).

B
Old 09-11-2002, 01:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

yeah I trimmed my trees and bagged everything nicely, no go with the garbage people. I put large chunks of the 914 out on the sidewalk and they take it. strange. I will try again on thur, so far they pretty much took from the doors on back.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

They probably think its a refrigerator.

The garbage people in Novato (where I live) wouldnt drive all the way to the end of our street to get our trash bins. My wife takes out the trash and I noticed her walking away from the house one day with bins towards the entrance to our street. I asked her what she was doing and she explained that one of the truck drivers/collectors told her to bring them down the street. I felt bad enough that I wasnt doing it... I called the city and got the disposal manager on the line. I lit him up like a Christmas tree.

"WTF ??" one of your drivers told my wife to take the bins to the end of the street ?? um umm umm Mr. Roberts.. I will umm..

I said "how about YOU come and take our garbage to the end of the street ?? tell your lazy ass collectors to do their ****** job.

The wife was almost in tears after I ripped this guy...lol

No more problems with the trash guy's. They are the nicest people we have ever met.

B
Old 09-11-2002, 01:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

hah...

you will love this one...

my house is in the city and of course my garage butts up against the sidewalk, no driveway at all. I put the cans right outside my garage door, so maybe 2 ft from the actual sidewalk. I get a letter left by the garbage people asking me to leave the cans closer to the sidewalk, they wanted them moved 2 ft!!

I think there must be a lazy crew and then some real go getters on another. I'm going to push my luck on thur and try getting some larger pieces gone. my goal is to throw away an entire 914 in the weekly trash pickup. LOL.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Rats... I wrote up a tech article (with pics, even!) but Wayne hasn't put it up yet...

Maybe I can pester him about it and get that put up.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-11-2002, 09:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Hey an easy way to remove the dashpad is to remove the nuts holding the dash sheetmetal subframe to the car shell. There are maybe 4 nuts under the cowl by the gas tank and another 4 or five nuts under the kneepad in the cabin. Voila. Then unbolt the dash pad from the subframe.

The gas tank needs to be removed, and the kneepad and steering column too, but that doesn't seem to be of concern in your case.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

thanks guys, I was able to get it out, and without cracking it! chris called it, the two nuts right above the end vents. maybe I should not work in near darkness next time, no wonder I didn't see those.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

How much for the dash ??

Should I bend over ??

I can buy them new from Porsche for 400$

I can have a factory cracked one redone to factory quality for 250$.

B
Old 09-11-2002, 03:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I think I will hang onto this for now, at least until I know whether or not my next car has a cracked one.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

One more garbage story...

I have a large plastic garbage can with built in wheels and an attached lid that flips over the backside of the can.

I pack the can pretty nicely each time. We have a couple of cats, a kid, and a dog, so between bags of dirty cat litter, and the rest of the trash our large garbage can often weighs a lot.

So one day, I leave it on the curb, and I notice when I come home that it has not been emptied and there is a nice note tied with wire to the can stating that my can is too heavy for the men to lift, and the all garbage containers must weigh 70 lbs or less. Of course, they have no problems taking 200 lb couches.

This pisses me off, so I bring out our large bathroom scale, lift the can on it and it weighs 62 lbs.

Needless to say, the next garbage day, my can is sitting there on the curb, on top of my scale, with a nice big note...

"Dear Lazy-Ass Sanitation Engineers,

Thank you for you kind note regarding the weight of my garbage can. Please note that my can weighs only 62 lbs and was not in excess of 70 lbs as you suggested. I have left the can on my bathroom scale for you to verify the accuracy of its weight.

I spent the time to weigh it so that you would know to collect it properly, as this is your job. Did you spend the time to weigh it during your last visit? Or perhaps you worked previously at a carnival and guessed people's weight for a living.

Thank you.

P.S. If you throw away my scale... your ass is mine!"
Old 09-11-2002, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Geez, where the heck do you guys live???

In Smell-A we've had "robot" trash trucks for years. Sometimes the driver/operator is the only guy on the crew. They don't lift squat.

That's why the guys want your cans in a certain spot...they never get out of the truck. If you put the can too far from the curb, or too close to parked car, or whatever, it hoses them. Here, they will just leave your cans full -- no notes or anything, you're screwed until next week.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

we've got manual laborer's here in SF. I have more of my 914 sitting out there now for pickup tomorrow, wonder if they will take it!?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Here, they will not take anything that's not in your allotted cans. No Hefty bags, boxes, sawzalled 914 sections, etc.

We get three cans - one regular 'trash', one recyclables, one green waste. They are big, but barely enough for a regularish family home. When I am overflowing in crap, I bring stuff to the office and toss it in their mega dumpster.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: