Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel Lines

Can anyone tell me how much fuel line I need to buy to renew everything in a 74 2.0? I believe the sizes are 3/8" and 5/16" (not using metric sizes). I already have new bent fuel lines from the injectors to the fuel rail. The fuel pump has been previously moved to the front under the fuel tank. The fuel tank has been removed. The two plastic lines are exposed (with metal ends) exiting the body under the fuel tank. I will be blowing out these two lines with compressed air.

Thanks,
Bob Soldani
74 2.0 liter
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-8154-1345605867.jpg

Diagram has some lengths on it. I think most people use 8mm hose in the engine bay these days. My car has SS lines coming through the tunnel. I used a 9.5mm (5/16") to 8mm step-down adapter from Tangerine Racing coming out of the tunnel. 8mm from there on back throughout engine bay.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Bob- Do yourself a huge favor and get rid of the white plastic lines that run thru the tunnel. By now they are brittle and will crack & split at the slightest movement. Porsche also used them in the 74 911s, but for one year only and for good reason. They are a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Go to Tangerine Racing and buy their SS tunnel lines. Or ask and I will look into making up some Polyamid tunnel lines as used in the 911s.

For your hose, the correct sizes are 7.5mm ID and 9.5mm ID. I have E-85 rated Metric hose by Cohline in stock, available in any length up to 20 Meters.

For details, please email me only. Go to my user name at left and pick "send email". I do not reply to PMs.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 03-30-2014 at 06:05 AM..
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have replaced some of the fuel tubing with same as stock fuel rated Nylon tubing, all the bits in the engine bay, the stuff in my tunnel is still fine, 40+ years of use. If I did replace the tunnel tubing I'd go with Nylon again. easy to install, cheap, long lasting. and make for an authentic restoration.
The big problem with the nylon tubing was when battery acid spilled on the engine bay pieces, located stupidly under the battery. With no rain cover on the battery and no sealed battery it was a disaster, H2SO4 (battery acid) eats up nylon fast.

with a sealed optima brand battery I don't have that issue, the nylon in the tunnel I have never seen fail on numerous 914's unless it was abused. even after 40 years.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks all for the suggestions. Have new 3/8 and 5/16" fuel lines and will be installing soon. Engine is still in car, so I will not be replacing the plastic lines thru the tunnel just yet. If I remove the engine for a little rust repair this summer, then I would probably replace those lines then.

Bob Soldani
Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: