Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 dash face vinyl

Ok guys. Newish 914 owner here. Decided to replace the dash face vinyl when I just had to have a new radio in the car. Like an idiot, I just peeled the old vinyl off as it was barely on anyway. Then I get to the steering column and bam it's really stuck. Now is there any easy way to remove the dash face to replace the vinyl and then reinstall it. I thought that the front just popped off, boy was I surprised. So I now have a mess and am trying to figure it all out. Any help is great appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
dash

removing the dash material can be with a solvent ( generally don't like this method unless you have replacement material) or peel slowly, use a razor knife (be careful).
uncertain what you are asking when you say vinyl? is it non stock or is it the dash material you are referring to?
Gary
Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. After reading, I really did a poor job of getting my message across. It was a long day. The basket weave vinyl was peeling so I decided to freshen it up. I needed to replace the stereo so figured while I was at it, I would do it. Looked easy enough. When taking out the existing radio that "face plate" with the vinyl attached popped right off albeit unintentionally. The rest of the vinyl strip basically fell into my hands as I went across. However it is firmly stuck by the steering wheel and light switches. My problem/question is there an easy way to access the switches to pull them and the panels with the basket weave attached then reinstall without pulling the entire dash. I made an assumption when starting and that assumption is biting me hard. Got myself into a mess that I didn't expect. Have done that a few times recently, but was able to figure it out and move on. This one has me stumped. I have the Haynes manual, but don't really see anything pertaining to dash/switch/control removal. I should have just reglued what was there and left it. Too late now.

Kevin.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Most of the switches unscrew. The knobs will unscrew, leaving the "escutcheon" which is threaded onto the part of the switch that pokes through the hole in the dash. You can use snap-ring pliers, or a little tiny screwdriver, or needle-nose pliers in the notches in the escutcheon to unscrew it. Some, I have been able to unscrew just by pressing them with my fingers and twisting.

Then the switch will slide forwards into the area under the dash.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks! I plan on working on it tonight. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
A thin dime also works to remove the escutcheons if I remember correctly.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks. That worked great. Now will just need to fish them back through once the vinyl is in place. Gave up on the lighter. Not sure how the back pops off to allow it to come out.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
lighter

there is a push on ring that holds the lighter housing against the dash. Get a hold of the lighter under the dash and wiggle to loosen up the grip from the ring to the lighter body. Then keep pushing and shortly it will be obvious and be out. Then unplug the wires. Assembly is the reverse.
I did find a dash face material section for the basket weave type.
Gary

Last edited by etcmss; 04-03-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks Gary. I plan on doing the vinyl this evening. I'll give that a try. If I can ever manage to escape a few evenings from the family I hope to have the speaker pods and dash complete. I'll post some pics when I get it finished.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: