Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

chromoly push rods

Hi, I have a set of new cromo push rods that I'm about to install into my new 2.0 build. I have read all about custom cutting each to length but would prefer to simply keep them all the same for the sake of simplicity. If I choose to do this would I simply make them the same length as the stock units? How are these normally cut? Is this something I can do myself or should I have them cut at a machine shop.
Getting close to the end.

Thanks, Joe
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I suspect you already have an answer, but here's a reference site on how to setup your pushrod lengths.

VW TYPE 4 PERFOMANCE VALVE TRAIN GEOMETRY (PART I) | Aircooled Classics - VW & Porsche Magazine

Are you using a stock cam and adjusters?

All other things being stock, I don't know if the stock lengths will work with the different material expansion rate.

The above site is for swivel foot adjusters and a different cam which I'm guessing is why the 1/2 lift measurement is required, but that's only a guess.

I cut mine with a hacksaw and used two old lifters to drive the tip in with a hammer. I was surprised how closely I was able to reproduce lift and 1/2 lift geometry that I setup with the adjustable pushrod. Disclaimer that I haven't started the motor yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If you have not changed anything else in your motor then stay with the Aluminum ones. There is no performance benefit from steel push rods.

Unless you change dimensions of the motor and intend to wind the piss out of it past 7K RPM. The steel push rods can be and should be cut to obtain the perfect valve train geometry ( Back to stock angles) so you don't wear out stuff.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: