Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Brake lights / Brake light switch

I have brake lights that dont shut off. If I wind up needing that
switch, I'll have to order it and I won't be able to ( legally) drive my teener for a week just over that...
Does anyone know if that is a VW part? We have a couple of VW
parts sources here in MN, none of the Porsche dealers stock this switch. Our cars ARE supposed to be "just VW's"...you know!
( until you get to the parts counter).
Old 09-13-2002, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had this happen a year or so ago. I pulled the switch, flushed it with lots of spray electrical cleaner (NOT carb cleaner) and then checked the contacts with a multi meter to make sure it opened and closed. When it gets put back up you'll have to leave the small lock nut for the adjust screw loose and then adjust it so that the lights come on right after you push the pedal. The adjust screw moves the switch internals to make it actuate. It is not very much fun to work on in the place it is, especially when you get as old as I am or have roll cage bars in the door opening but can be done with patience. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The other thing is that the switch works the opposite way that it looks like. When there is pressure on the arm, the brake lights turn off. When there is no pressure, the lights go on! When I messed with my pedal cluster, I put it together the way it "looked right" and the brake lights would never go off. I had to move the arm of the switch to the other side of the washer on the brake pushrod, and all of a sudden it worked!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-13-2002, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

90% of the time I find the lights stuck on... the little arm has moved away from contacting the pad on the actual brake pedal. Its a 20 minute fix after removing the wood floorboard.

B
Old 09-13-2002, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. I probably would have just grabbed my Haynes and dove into this blind, but when I noticed that a word search pulled up very little info in response to "brake light switch" , I thought it might be useful to pick your brains for
the sake of this BBS as well.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
yeah, that turned out to be the problem with my brake lights. i had a post a couple of days ago about taillight wiring. as DD says, the switch is a normally open contact switch. when off the brake pedal, the arm is on the washer and the contact is open. push down on the pedal and the arm, depending on the adjustment, then closes or makes contact completing the circuit and..... LIGHTS! as posted, adjustment is required. mine was adjusted so the switch never closed thus no lights.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i think this is one of those features that the p- engineers fell on the floor laughing about. how many master cyls do you think service departments sold to customers with brake light related issues?

kevin
"the cynic in the jetta"(damn)
Old 09-14-2002, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
yeah, especially since there is no brake light switch on the master cylinder
Old 09-15-2002, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: