Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Joe 914-6 (1971)

Electrical Issue, Again 914-6

Many thanks to those of you who helped me with my brake light issue that I posted. Now I'm on to new electrical issues.

Some history, I had a mechanic who bypassed the voltage regulator "to get it running" and he claimed that the circuit board was bad. I see no evidence that this true and have repaired his "jumper" from the large plug. I have also bought and installed a new voltage regulator and replaced all 5 of the relays: 3 on fuse board in cabin and 2 on the Board in engine compartment. I believe that due to this mechanics "jumper" it blew many of the bulbs and created some other issues with driving lights and turn signals. Have since checked wires, replaced fuses and got the lights to work correctly.

Today on my drive to work, the tach stopped working and now the "g" light glowed softly on the ride home, which I assume is an issue with my generator/alternator.

This is a 1971 914-6 and I'm open to any ideas that you think might be causing this issue. I am not going back to the mechanic who was good with the carbs and engine but electrical work wasn't his expertise.

Frustrated in VT,

Joe
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Joe 914-6 (1971)

Could this also be due to the engine fan belt?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That glow is an indication that the charging system is producing less voltage than the battery is storing. You're running the battery down as you drive. Might be a bad voltage regulator, but my money's on the alternator. Since you will need the former whether the latter is bad or not, purchase the appropriate regulator (the correct one for the alternator you have; there is more than one possibility). If you're not good at electrical diagnosis, find someone who is. There are some basic tests that can be done with pretty simple equipment. You could also find a good shop with a charging system tester and let them do the diagnosis. BE SURE they're familiar with Bosch, Motorola, and Valeo electrics!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Joe 914-6 (1971)

I'm not an electrical person but there might be an option in my town. I just purchased the voltage regulator and the relays from Pelican Parts and they had only 1 listed. I assumed that it would work on the 6. I've tested at the battery cables and get 13.4 volts at idle. If I use the manual idle lever, I can produce 14.2 volts when revved.

Lastly, the tach needle will jump when the car starts and when I turn it off.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Remove the fuses under the dash, one at a time, and clean the tips of the fuses and the contact tabs of the fuse box. As a preliminary move, just spin each fuse several times. Your problem may be there. The light will glow on startup until the engine first exceeds 1400-1600 RPM, BTW.

The Cap'n
Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
First thing is to change your mechanic after he has fixed all the crap he has caused you and don't pay his bill.....he sounds like a ''munter'' as we call them in my country.
Your green charge light will be on when you try to start your car (ignition on) and should go off as soon as it is running @ idle,sounds like your altenator is suspect due to your ex- mechanics efforts ...... ????? sorry but thats my read on it.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Joe 914-6 (1971)

Thanks cap'n, I will try that first before taking it to someone who might can help. My trouble is there isn't anyone around that specializes in these older Porsches near me. The last guy was good with the engine but to porschetub's point, I had to repair all the stuff he did to get it running, which he did because,"he could find the parts, that I somehow found. I too thought it could be alternator, thanks for confirming my suspicions porschetub.

The tach is another mystery, unless you think the voltage issue is keeping the tach from running. I assumed that the tach had a cable that spun on it to generate the signal. My Lash book and the owners manual aren't real specific on how these work or are connected. They are both not great for what all the wires are that are connected to the fuse panel/board.

I'd like to fix it myself but this is sounding over my head.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The tach is electronic. It gets a signal from the points to run. I don't know if going over-voltage like that could damage it, but it might be possible.

If you're willing to go further afield, Tangerine Racing in CT knows 914s very well.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Joe 914-6 (1971)

Thanks for the advice Dave. I hope to have time this weekend to investigate more. This car is a weekend project only as my wife thinks I spend too much time and money on it. I'll think about the CT trip.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: