Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Wire Feed Spray Welder?

Bought a copy of "Hemmings Motor News" the other day. And in the Services Offered section(page5829) saw this "RustBusters" add. Has anybody seen or used one of these machines? Looks like it would be good for fenders & floorboards but I don't know how well it will hold up for the structural parts of the car (suspension,jack posts,etc.). Anyway if anyone has used this process please let know how good it is or not.

P.S. They have a website www.rustbusters.com for anybody wanting to see what I'm talking about.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A process similar to this is used in the semiconductor world, but we use it to increase the surface area of a part. It can also be used to repair or add material to a surface such as a shaft that has worn down.

The cost of the machines is going to be cost prohibitive for the home shop person. You are better off paying them to do it for you.

The biggest thing to worry about is that most of the time on certain portions of our car, the rust is working from the inside out and this coating will only mask the problem for a while.

It seems like a pretty good idea depending on the application.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used to have all kinds of parts repaired using metal spray (in the oil industry). Mostly pump shafts, sleeves, etc.
We don't do it anymore, basically it sux.
We still have Tungston carbide applied in some areas, but that is more like plasma spraying, a little more acceptable.

main problem with the stuff is, it's porous, and it has a tendency to peel up.

Last edited by sammyg2; 09-16-2002 at 07:30 AM..
Old 09-15-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Mike, Kevin, & Sam for the info. It kinda looked like it was"To Good To Be True" deal. That's the best part of this site, is to get info from the people that have"Been There, Done that" and help each other out.
Again, Thanks Ralph

74 2.0 in good shape(sloooowly working to make excelent)
Old 09-15-2002, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Some years ago, I was restoring a '36 MG (in the late late '60's). The outboard headlight buckets (the Brits would have a fit regarding my terminology) wer damaged at the rear conical point by the corner edge of the bonnet (got that one right) hitting when carelessly lowering into place. How would you replace or butt weld on such thin metal in an imposible compound shape? I heard about metal spraying and had them sprayed inside with basically a pot metal. Filled up the holes fine. I filed and sanded them until they were ready for chrome. The whole process worked like a charm and I felt like a genious for hot having to source out new/used head lights. So maybe for restoring castings like American window cranks, hood ornaments and the like, it's a viable process. IIRC, the metal was very brittle and, as mentioned, porous. Haven't used the process since.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: