Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

checking an altenator

Im doing the final (Hopefully) touches to my 70 1.7 engine before reinstalling it. Im looking at the altenator and it looks kind of rusty. It spins freely so I know its not frozen. If I take a hand drill with a socket on it and give it a whirl I should get some sign of Voltage, Question which wire do I need to check with my voltmeter. I would hate to put that baby back in the car to find it doesnt charge.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The best thing to do is take it to an alternator repair shop so they can run it under load to see if it is okay. Generally they don't charge anything. Just spinning it would not really show much. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
this won't be too much help but since it's an alternator you need to put some current thru the field windings then when you spin the at shaft you will get an output voltage. only thing is, i can't tell you which of the 3 connections would be voltage in, ground and voltage out (probably). my bad.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: