Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

big 6 question

how much of a benefit is it to drop a 3.2 in a factory 914-6 as compared to converting a 914-4? how much money would you save in parts and labor using the 914-6 over the 914-4? are there any other benefits one way or the other?
Old 09-15-2002, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

...probably just the cost of the oil tank and lines... *for the six*

$$$$$$$ for the four (my total cost so far, in time and money -- 10 years/$12000 ...don't tell the wife!)

Doing the four gets you the side shifter and a movable passenger seat...

Modify what you have: either way, a 3.2 will put some WOW! in your car

scott

[*what I meant* gotta stop typing late at night...]

Last edited by scg; 09-16-2002 at 04:47 PM..
Old 09-15-2002, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not as cut and dry as you make it sound...

It's more than just a tank and lines and suspension...

To convert a four you need, engine mount, oil tank and accessories, oil lines, headers/heat exchangers, exhaust, throttle cable adapter, flywheel... and then your brakes will be inadequate. You can try and upgrade the fronts to larger calipers with the four-bolt setup, but you're better off with a five-bolt suspension and brakes. Especially for the 220+ HP of the 3.2L motor. Convert your tach for the new six cylinder. Fuel pump... and the wallet is now empty.

To convert an original six to a 3.2... you won't need much, but an external oil cooler would be recommended, as well as higher flow exhaust (i.e., larger diameter headers), and a different flywheel. And the stock brakes will be pushing it for the higher power motor too. Is your tranny stock? You might want to convert to a later model side-shifter.

So all in all, you're going to spend money either way.

Last edited by kellzey; 09-17-2002 at 06:22 PM..
Old 09-15-2002, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

not worried about brakes or suspension, merely the cost in dropping a larger motor in.

so we have oil tank, oil lines, engine mount, and throttle cable changes need to get a 914-4 car setup to accept a 6. is that it?

where is B when we need him? I'm sure he can come up with a parts and labor $ amount off the top of his head.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just installed a 3.0 SC into a '73 914. The thing about buying a factory 6cyl is you can't find them for much less than $20K. And once you get it a stock 914-6 trans and brakes are too weak for a 3.2 as well. Here is the market for conversion parts: Factory oil tank new $650, Used $400. Bulkhead engine mount $500 new, I see them for $250 often. The throttle linkage thingy $300 DO NOT BUY THIS PART IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY FOR A CONVERSION, just use a stock 914-4 throttle cable I can tell you how to run it (get creative don't spend so much money). Flywheel for a 3.2 into a 901 is $200 plus core from KEP in Palmdale Ca (awsome quality and price) Pelican told me $900 ya right! Headers $400, you cant use the small stock heat exchangers on that big motor! External oil cooler and lines about $1000 (that is realy what it will cost), Although I have heard from many that you won't need a front mount cooler unless you are racing in the hot weather. You will need a CD box and fuel pump (big money if you dont get them with the engine, $600 or so). Lots of little things. I just went through it all myself.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'd also plan to spend some money on the transmission and upgrade that. Change out the intermediate plate, put in a LSD and replace the bearings with new ones (At least change the bearing on the input shaft) and change most of the replacable parts. It should be able to hold ya then.

James
Old 09-16-2002, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Confused...

I'm in the middle of a conversion right now and would love any description, picture, faxed drawing... anything about how to re-work a throttle cable for a conversion withoug buying the stock part...... (trying to save money)...

thanks for your time
brant

bmcss@co.boulder.co.us
Old 09-16-2002, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I've always thought there should be a better way to do the throttle cable. The factory version tried to use as much of the "stock 911" as possible. To me, this was sub-optimal, like the tailshift transmission.

James
Old 09-16-2002, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I found this on someone elses web site so I can't take credit bit it saved me $300. You can route the cable (cable is a stock 914-4) from the front as well by adding a reverse linkage arm. Just get creative. The 911 style linkage arm has too many moving parts. $300 for a bolt on arm seems way high. I think the stock cable is more reliable and less adjustment.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

if this pic will fit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 914-6werberlinkage.jpg (11.1 KB, 515 views)
Old 09-16-2002, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Where did you get the cable adjustment linkage? I might replace the cable on my 914/6 with that. Do you know how hard it is to get a 914/6 cable?

James
Old 09-16-2002, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I hear you can still order new 914-6 throttle cables, they are around $75-$100 I think, but you don't need one, just get a 4cyl one for $40new. The cable in the picture is a stock 914-4 cable. The clamp holding it onto the carb linkage is a VW piece (you will have to gring off the ball link to moun it). The Piece that holds the end of the cable is a homemade bracket.

Last edited by confused; 08-15-2006 at 04:59 PM..
Old 09-16-2002, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

914/6 throttle cable @ Pelican $49.95. The 4 pooper cable won't work on an original 6er.

Let's see a pic of that throttle set up at WOT(pedal to the metal).
It looks as tho there's gonna be an angularity problem....nuthin that can't be worked out, tho.

The OEM set up is a Rube Goldberg SOB, works gud, however.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by J P Stein
The OEM set up is a Rube Goldberg SOB, works gud, however.
Insert # (Rant)

Sometimes I feel the whole car had a few 2 many German Engineers trying to make the parts fit, instead of Designing things the way they should have been.

End # (Rant)

James

I feel better now
Old 09-16-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

well I'm looking for a $ amount in merely getting a 914-4 setup to accept a 6. no trans, brakes, or suspension. YES, I know I need all this, but I want to find out how much money I can "save" by starting with a 914-6. so it looks like maybe $1200 in parts, $2000 total with labor??
Old 09-16-2002, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The absolute cheapest I have ever heard of it being done is $5,000. Hopefully B will comment, he did the conversion. Total bare bones, worn-out 2.0 T engine with Webers, which he found mated to a 914-6 tranny with the throttle bellcrank and all. Went into a 72 so the tail-shift was fine.

This is not a simple bolt-in conversion that you can buy for $300.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-16-2002, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by derek_sf
well I'm looking for a $ amount in merely getting a 914-4 setup to accept a 6. no trans, brakes, or suspension. YES, I know I need all this, but I want to find out how much money I can "save" by starting with a 914-6. so it looks like maybe $1200 in parts, $2000 total with labor??
Woah! That figure is way too low! You'd pay nearly $1200 just getting the oil system ironed out (914-6 oil tank, hoses, fittings, etc). From my research in the past, it seems that the parts alone are a good $3-4k, not including the engine and some various other parts. I am definitely no expert when it comes to the /6 conversion, however, it really will take over $5k if done properly (including the price of the engine). Probably the best thing to do, and what I plan to start doing soon is just slowly accumulate the parts. A few hundred $$$ here and there should make it a lot easier. Then after a year or 2 later, you might have everything done. That is, unless I win the lottery!
Old 09-16-2002, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

$5000 just to set the car up to accept the 6? I'm not trying to find out the cost for actually installing the motor. just to set it up to accept a 6.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

nobody understands my question no matter how much I explain it, LOL.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

let me try it this way...

say you have a '73-'74 914-4 and a 914-6 sitting side by side. neither car has a motor or trans. your goal is to make the 914-4 just like the 914-6 (or close to it) as far as motor mount, oil tank/lines, and accelerator cable, how much would this cost in parts and labor?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: