Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Heater hoses

Anyone found a good sub for factory heater hoses out there? I've been to parts houses and I have yet to find the right diameter in a heat restistant material, so I've been thinking about Home Depot or something like that. Any ideas? I need heat up here in MN all of the sudden, and expedited delivery of factory hoses from any of the suppliers would probably put me in the 75 buck range, which seems like a lot for about 3' of stinkin' hose.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Most of the aftermarket Porsche parts places sell "aircraft quality" heater hose. This stuff is some kind of rubber or plastic and just does not seem to wear out.

Yes, Pelican does carry them...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-16-2002, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

McMaster has hose that looks suitable for less than $5/foot. It's temperature range is -65deg to +300deg F. Look for the Neoprene Coated hose under the "Fabric Blowing & Exhaust Hose" section. Page 170 of the catalog.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 09-16-2002, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm assuming you mean the hose from the flapper valves to the body. If that is correct you need 60mm hose. NAPA has what they call Carburetor Preheater Hose, P/N 813-1374, 60mm X 1000 mm. It's worked fine for me for about 5 years now.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd gotten some hose from NAPA for the same application however, when I turned on the heater a hot rubber smell filled the cabin along with a strange oily coating on the inside of the windshield. The smell is getting less as I use it but it was obnoxious at first. Might've even suffered brrrraain dddamage...

bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-16-2002, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Heater Hose

We just solved the heater hose problem, now can anyone tell me where I can get a picture of the entire heating system. Also the blower on my 73, 1.7 seems to be in the wrong place. As you face the rear trunk it's on the lower left hand side. I have seen others that the blower is on top of the engine ,again to the left side. P.O put a big piece of 3 inch exhaust pipe across the back of the engine, to connect the right side to the left????? I just want toget ride of that Rube Goldberg set up. I have a meet to go to Oct. 26 th in Mich. and could use some heat then. Oh yes the system is complete. Any help will be appreciated! Dave
Old 09-16-2002, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My heater is on the lower left side just in back of and a little to the right of the fuses. Tubing from the blower is of a corigated design going to a "Y". Then both ends from the "Y" dissapear into the sheet metal.
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-16-2002, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Bruce, your setup is aftermarket.

Dave, you have the normal 73-74 setup. A fan with a single outlet mounted to the left-side engine shelf. The 70-72 cars had a dual-outlet fan mounted to the fan shroud. The 75-76 cars had the 73-74 setup, but with a splitter attached to the (single) outlet of the fan.

On 73-74 cars, the blower is connected to the left-side heat exchanger only, with a cap on the right-side J-tube.

Connections on 70-74 cars (75-76 are somewhat different) --

Heater blower to left-side J-tube. J-tube goes down through the engine tin to the S-duct. S-duct connects on one end to the bottom of the fan shroud, on the other end to the heat exchanger. The J-tube connects in the middle of one of the S's bends. Outlet pipe connects to the heat exchanger, with the flapper valve on the end of the pipe. The flapper valve has a hose that runs to the inlet on the body.

The right side is identical (uses slightly different S-ducts, the J-tubes might have the mounting tab on the opposite side) except for the top of the J-tube having a plastic cap on it.

No pics at this moment.

--DD

Old 09-17-2002, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
NAPA pipe works/looks great, 10 bucks, DONE!! Thanks guys..
Old 09-17-2002, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dave, with the setup I have would that make my engin run hotter? (or is this someones idea to get more heat into the cabin)?
This is my first 914 and when I get out of the car I can't get used to how hot it feels near the engin compartment. I haven't checked other cars yet but, I guess I gotta.
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-17-2002, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
heater Hoses

Dave D. , Pictures or diagram sure would help me. Old and slow I guesss! Thanks Dave
Old 09-17-2002, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

While were on the topic of heaters, I just finnished stripping and painting my front trunk. I put in all new fuel lines, fuel filter, heater hoses, wiper delay and an electric windshield washer pump. While I was hooking up my heater boxes I noticed that if the left one is on defrost the right one is on floor and vise versa. Air will never come from both defrosters, or both floor vents at once. I tried hooking it up different ways but it will only work this way. Is this normal?? or did I do something wrong. The hanes manual was not much help. Thanks Dave
Old 09-17-2002, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Bruce, your setup shouldn't make the engine run hotter, it should help get more heat into the cabin when the engine is at idle. The only possible problems I can see with it are if any of the hoses block the cooling air going into the engine's fan. Or get caught in the fan!!

Barber Dave, no pics as I said. And the images we have in the "914 parts diagrams" section of this site don't really show that much of the heater stuff. You can look there, but realize that it only shows about half of the bits.

Dave Blackburn, I'm pretty sure you hooked up the cables for the "heat directing flaps" incorrectly. I hear they are a major hassle to do right...

I am going to see if I can take some pics this week, but don't hold your breath!!

--DD

Old 09-18-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Side question

Since wea are talking about heater hose..

What is the best way to get oil, dirt, and basic CRUD removed from the inside of the heat exchangers shell?

The car had/has a bad oily smell inside when I bought it. I am replacing the interior and would hate to get all of the new stuff all Stanky..

I have tried engine degresser but no luck. It still seems to be there.

Does the exchanger shell come abart from the core pipes?

Thanks
Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 09-18-2002, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

What are you using as a degreaser? I've used Gunk in the past and it leaves a funky petroleum smell. I now use Simple Green or Castrol cleaner which don't leave much of an odor.

I am not sure how you can remove deposits from inside the exchangers if rinsing and soaking doesn't do it. Could they be boiled out by a radiator shop? Or would this be too agressive?

The outer shell cannot easily be removed. I think you would pretty well destroy it by trying to open the seams.

Mike
Old 09-18-2002, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
OK, I finally got a chance to take some pics last night. Thanks to B for providing the chance.

Here's a pic of the J-tube. This pokes up through (barely) the engine tin, and carries air from the heater blower to the heat exchanger. On stock 73-74 cars, the right-side one is capped off and only the left-side one is connected to the blower.

Here's a pic of the S-duct. It connects to the outlet at the bottom edge of the fan shroud, and carries air from there into the heat exchanger proper. The J-tube joins the S-duct in the middle.

Here's a pic of the two parts joined together.

Here is a pic of the flapper valve and the tube which the valve is attached. This is the outlet for warm air from the heat exchanger. Air gets pushed through the tube to the flapper. When the flapper is closed, it dumps air out underneath the car through that mushroom-shaped thing toward the bottom of the picture. When the flapper is open, the air instead is directed to the other opening, toward the top of the picture. That opening has a hose clamped to it that runs to the heater duct in the car's body.

Here are the bits joined together.

Here is a closeup of the area where the parts are joined. They are not connected in this pic, just laid out in the right places.

...I also have the pics in 1600x1200 size if you really need them...

--DD

Old 09-19-2002, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty

they have two catologs, one for aircraft and one for racecar fabrication (some aircraft stuff removed)

I recommend either one. They have some really good tech info that will benifit anyone.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com
Old 09-19-2002, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Dave... Great info... I have a 73 2.0... Passenger side Jtube is caped. As you mentioned this is OE... So that side is NONOP? Even though everything below is correct and has the flappers and all? So anyone connecting this Jtube to increase heater functionality or is this a waste and just filling up the engine compartment? And so in this case, I should only buy qty-1 heater hose for the flapper to frame? Correct? You advice on this is desired as I am in the middle of the process finishing this weekend
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The right side exchanger on the 73-74 cars only has air taken from the bottom of the fan shroud blowing through it. The left side one has that and the air from the heater blower as well.

The 70-72 cars had a fan that had two outlets, so hoses were connected to both J tubes. The 75-76 cars had the single outlet on the fan, but there was a splitter attached to it. So both were hooked up. Only the 73-74 cars had the cap on the passenger side J-tube.

I picked up a used splitter (or a used fan?) for my 74 and hooked up both tubes.

--DD

Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
You guys have heat in your cars ? I am shocked.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: