Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Painting over seam sealer, tar / sound deadening stuff.

When I had my car painted about 12 years ago, the front and rear trunks were also painted... it was painted inside and out actually. Over the years the paint has cracked and chipped on the floor of the front trunk and in spots on the rear trunk floors. We didn't remove the tar or sealer as part of the restore. Is it common for it to chip like that? I thought it was inevitable since paint doesn't stick to tar soo well and because the tar has probably shrunk and expanded.

I have no issue with it... should I just strip and repaint the floors only to have it happen again? What do most people do when painting over the tar and seam sealer?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by frank; 04-27-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
The factory paint went over the seam sealer. That's the clumpy white material along panel edges and seams in the sheet metal. I believe paint was also applied over the black sound deadening material in the floor pans. I don't know if it was applied as a final stage at the factory or at dealerships but the under-coating was applied over the factory paint. It's black also and is very much like hardened tar. All these materials begin to crack with time, trap moisture and cause rust. In the restoration threads I've read, seam sealer is applied over POR 15 or primer, and then final paint coat over the sealer after it's cured. I highly recommend that you dig ALL the original under-coating, sound deadening and seam sealer out. Then strip the remaining paint (if you can) before applying POR 15 or rust inhibiting primer. You'll be shocked at the rust under these cracked areas. Once the moisture penetrates, it begins to migrate along the seams, causing great problems.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am fairly certain there is no rust as this has spent most of it's years after the restore parked in my garage in phoenix and I never drove it in the rain. I have bewn caught in the rain a few times since moving bavk to California but I dry it off as soon as I get home... trunks too just in case.

So... maybe I will leave the tar removall task to the body shop should I decide to respray the trunks.

Thank you for your feedback!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: