Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Big leaks at the joint flanges

I have gone through and replaced all the shift seals and bushings on my transaxle and I have succesfully sealed up the various leaks however the fluid has found other places to leak.

I now have leaks where the flanges fit into the transaxle on both sides. Can anyone tell me what seals I need to replace? I think I may also have a leak inside; it's kinda hard to tell right now. I would have to remove the transaxle to confirm and I don't want to do that until I fix the existing known leaks.

Also... since I have the huge leaks right now I don't want to keep topping it off with expensive Swepco. Can someone recommend something I can pick up an O'reilly's or any FLAPS to use until I repair these leaks? I have not found any non-slip transmission fluid at my FLAPS. Should I be using Limited slip fluid? I never paid attention to the type since I have always used Swepco 201.

I do have a rebuilt transaxle sitting on my shelf but I know this one has plenty of life in it. I just need to seal the leaks. It shifts amazingly well... I don't want to replace it at this point.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You DO NOT want ANY additives, no "non-slip" (whatever that means), no "limited slip fluid", no friction enhanced or friction modifiers of ANY kind. Plain old "GL5" is what you need. NOT GL4/GL5, just the basic stuff. 80/90 is the preferred weight, although 90 is fine. Nearly any FLAPS should carry it.

If your trans is leaking from the flanges, simply replace the two seals ......... Inspect the drive flanges for wear/erosion where the seal meets the flange.

The Cap'n
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply!

What is the part I am looking for? Looking at the diagrams I got confused as there are different diameters.

I have a 73 2.0

I think the fix is straight forward but I want to make sure I order the right parts. I am presuming thereIis just one seal per side correct?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Also... I think EVERY bottle / brand at my FLAPS is labeled "LS"... I'll check again though.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sta Lube is a common brand. If they don't have what you need, I'm sure they can get it in a day or two. As for the seal, the part you need is 999 113 183 40, Radial Seal, 45 x 68 x 10mm. There is only one size specified for all 914 transaxles, and you need two of them, one for each side.

The Cap'n
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks! I did find the seals I needed since my last post. I'll check for sta lube after my run today.

You have bewn a big help!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Are you sure that you're seeing leaked-out transmission fluid? It has a very suphurous rotten-egg smell. CV joint grease can also get thrown around if those are leaking, which is not uncommon.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am absolutely positive Dave. There is no mistaking the bright blue color of freshly topped off Swepco. I topped it off this morning and it lft two huge pools of Swepco, each coming from where the flanges enter the transaxle.

I ordered the seals and new cv joint gaskets. I should have this fixed before the start of the weekend but I suspect I will find a leak at the main shaft. We'll see.

Thank you for your response.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Way to go. The bolts holding the flanges in place are not very tight. You can put a long 1.4" punch through one hole and hold it from turning. Or 2 CV bolts and a long screwdriver. Hope you bought a set of Schnorr washers for the CV bolts. BTW, the main shaft seal is higher than the oil level, so it should leak only when the shaft is turning.

The Cap'n
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I did not get the schnorr washers. Last time I had the CV joints off I was in a rush so I ordered them from Porsche Monterey. They told me that the washers had been superceded by external star lock washers (I forgwt what they are actually called but I think you know what I mean) they wanted something like $28 for 8 of them... itold them to send them back and I bought some from Ace hardware.

I don't know if the main shaft ia leaking yet... it appears so but there is so much oil leaking that I can't tell yet. I'll fix the drive ahaft seals firat and take it from there.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I suggest the Porsche dealer was selling you something he had in stock ............. I buy those washers by the bag, and, until I sold my shop, always bought all 3 normal sizes from the dealer. I can mail you a set for pretty cheap if you PM me.

The Cap'n
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I replaced the joint flange seals and the leaks dried up from there... but as suspected I have a leak between the transaxle and the motor, presumably from the main shaft oil seal.

I want to order the part and if anyone knows what I need I would appreciate the part number. Also, what is the best way to do this job? Should I remove the motor and transaxle together or just the transaxle? Is this a big job? Will I have to remove the clutch or does the transaxle separate at the shaft and make the oil seal replacement a no-brainer? I have never separated the transaxle from the motor so please forgive my ignorance.

Cap'n, I PM'd you last week.

Last edited by frank; 05-05-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

What you'll need is a 113 311 113B, Mainshaft Seal. Pull the trans and leave the engine in the car. I've seen that seal replaced with the trans hanging by the axles, but I don't think I'd do it that way. You'll find removing the old seal a challenge, but it can be done. Have faith and a long 1/4" screwdriver handy. DO NOT forget to remove the trans ground strap!!!!

The Cap'n
Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
the clutch and flywheel stay on the engine.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: