Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Full flow oil pump cover clearance issue

Hi, Just wrapping up my 2056 build and noticed the outlet on my oil pump cover will not allow me to fit the motor mount bracket. So, as the pump outlet fitting exits to the left it covers over the mounting holes for the bracket. I'm sure anybody doing a full flow setup on a 914 has encountered this. What is the solution? Is there a different pump cover that needs to be used?

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The only solution I've heard of so far is grinding clearance on the gusset for the mount.

It also looks as if you might be able to use a 90-degree fitting instead of the straight-out one you have in there now, but that whole area is pretty cramped. You may be trading one interference problem for another.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks but grinding down the mount is not an option. I'd have to take off too much material and I think thats too risky. I have a 90 but still not enough room. Looks like either a modified motor mount or pump cover exiting straight out the front with a 90 will work. I've heard people have modified the pump cover to do this although I'd rather find an off the shelf solution. I've also seen a really short 45 which might work. Can't believe I didn't know about this till this late stage. I guess I could always go back to the sandwich plate but don't really want to after all this effort.

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When I had the 2.4L engine in my 914 it had the same problem and the inner web was cut off without any issues. Not all of it needs to be removed and the thickness of the metal was sufficient to keep the engine in place. If you are worried about strength, you could always double the web on the outer side and that would give more strngth.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
On my engine I had the same problem. I cut off enough of the gusset to get the fitting over it. Then on the other side I added a plate with a hole in it large enough to run the hose thru it. It is probably stronger now than it was as a stock unit.

I'd post a pic but it will be a few days until I can get to it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the photos, much appreciated.

Joe
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I did what Paul did. worked great. I also did the just cut it off and it also worked fine.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Puny Bird

My solution $75 plus core

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
What did I tell you Joe?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Also, McMark over on the 914world board plugs the outlet of the cover, and taps the front for a 90-degree fitting that screws in.

There are lots of ways to skin this particular cat.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks everybody. I'm going to try Mark Henry's solution first as we are relatively local. I'll let you know how it works out.

Joe
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

A 90 degree fitting like you have on the oil return (as shown in your photo) would work I think, I have a 90 degree fitting on mine.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabinetmaker View Post
A 90 degree fitting like you have on the oil return (as shown in your photo) would work I think, I have a 90 degree fitting on mine.
IIRC Every 90 degree fitting is like adding 15 feet of hose.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
IIRC Every 90 degree fitting is like adding 15 feet of hose.
Yes and why do it ,a sweep bend has way better flow,its just not that hard?.
The gusset can be gut off without issues.

ury914's setup is downright messy sorry but thats the way i see it.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetub View Post
Yes and why do it ,a sweep bend has way better flow,its just not that hard?.
The gusset can be gut off without issues.

ury914's setup is downright messy sorry but thats the way i see it.
The gussets can not be just cut off, the bracket will bend and at minimum shifting issues will result. Plus this pump mod is used on high horsepower apps so even more stresses on the mount.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mark Henry's modified mount did work. Sorry I forgot to take pics before covering it with the shroud. I did have to change the factory bolt with one with a slightly shallower head. Very close, at least with the fittings I am using. Almost done, hopefully installation this weekend.

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Also, McMark over on the 914world board plugs the outlet of the cover, and taps the front for a 90-degree fitting that screws in.

There are lots of ways to skin this particular cat.

--DD
why not simply get a flat cover with no outlet? Then no need to block the cover outlet. actually I think the post should read that the pump outlet is plugged, not the cover outlet.

You can also pick up the oil flow at the filter, using the correct adaptor, if you want full flow, then block the spring loaded bypass port at the filter mount. little more restrictive there, but workable too.

lots of ways to skin this cat
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: