Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face New 914/6

Hi

I've just bought an early 914/6 from the south of France (chassis no 232) and it has some some odd features. Not least of which are the flares. The only other car I have seen like this is the 914/6 GT prototype on page 90 of Brian Long's book Porsche 914 914-6.
The wheel arches are identical.

There was also a hole cut in the hood for fuel.

Can anyone please comment on the wheels also, please.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2002, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's hard to comment on something that one cannot see

Do you have pictures?

Sounds like an interesting car, congrats.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

did you cross reference the VIN with the GT's and M471's listed on the net?

GT's obviously had the flares and also the fuel filler hole in the front truck lid.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile

Forgot the picture of the rear wheel with flare
Old 09-17-2002, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Only picture so far. Will take more tomorrow.

I've checked the list of GT vin numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearwheel.jpg (49.6 KB, 608 views)
Old 09-17-2002, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

are you sure that's not a VW beetle? doesn't look like a factory 914 flare, or maybe it's just an odd pic.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I wonder if you could cut up a fender for a bug and use it to flare a 914?
Old 09-17-2002, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Was your 914 at the International in Bournemouth at the weekend? Mike Karavasilli said he sourced one in France that looked close to yours.
If so your flares are custom made and not the same as the GT flares. Very nice six regardless....and it has the six chassis number so that counts for a lot.
As for the wheels they are very unusual -I've certainly never seen any the same.
Cheers -James
Old 09-17-2002, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Those flares do indeed resemble the GT prototype as shown in Brian Long's book. I believe the factory GT's had fuel access holes in the trunk lid (check out page 96 of Long's book and Glenn Stazak's 914-6GT page http://stazak.com/914/gt/tank/tank.html ).

You may have a real find there, or a very faithful copy of an early GT - nice catch!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here's the only (very poor ) picture I took.....had to touch it up because it had no flash......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic0029.jpg (30.6 KB, 589 views)
Old 09-17-2002, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I saw one set of those wheels for sale at the German Autofest this weekend. EASY in Emeryville, CA, has them. I hear there was another set there as well.

They're made by American Racing or American Eagle. They are very similar to some early Corvette wheels, but have the Porsche bolt pattern and I assume offset as well.

Glenn Stazak has a very interesting early 914-6; it appears to in many ways be a prototype for the GT cars. Email him (you should find a link on his page, listed above) and he can tell you some of the more interesting details.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-17-2002, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Re: New 914/6

Quote:
Originally posted by discusuk
I've just bought an early 914/6 from the south of France (chassis no 232)
Dang! 232 beats my 378.

James

Nice find!

Wait, once of the guys at the Autocross 10 days in San Diego had a french 914/6. It was french spec'd and had no backup lights.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The GPR 914-6 at GAF this weekend had the French talight lenses, I spoke to the owner and he said he came across them years ago and they are the only pair he has ever seen. Seems to me you could just paint the clear part of the talilight lense the orange color.
VOILA french tailight lenses.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP914
Old 09-17-2002, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The wheels are very similar to an American Racing Torque Thrust D. These were very popular in the 60s (and on vintage rods/muscle cars today). I have never seen them with a 5x130 pattern though.

Later,

G
Old 09-18-2002, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Would have posted last evening but got bitten by the new car. Shut my finger in the door and the bolt went through my finger nail.

There was a hole in the front trunk lid for a fuel filler but it has now been fibreglassed over.

There were also holes there where driving lights must have been.

There is also a late rear valence which looks to be an addition.

The dash face is black felt.

Behind the horn grills there are brackets for another pair of lights.

There are also holes on the Targa top for some kind of roll bar.

The flares are so well done I cannot find any join.

thanks for your help
Old 09-19-2002, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There is also a late rear valence which looks to be an addition.

Easy to add.

The dash face is black felt.

Easy to add.

Behind the horn grills there are brackets for another pair of lights.

Factory fog lights went there.

There are also holes on the Targa top for some kind of roll bar.

Where are the holes? Pics would be appreciated!!

The flares are so well done I cannot find any join.

Probably aftermarket, then--the factory flares were simply stamped flares only, not complete fenders. The flares were welded onto the stock fenders and the stock bits cut out. Just the way most are installed today.

As I said, contact Glenn and talk to him about his car. There are some nifty details!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-19-2002, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

914-6 wheels/tail lights

Hello,
The wheels were made by American Racing or Appliance. They were available in aluminum and magnesium. The spokes are peaked (a cross section would look like an inverted V). There are Torque Thrust and Torque Thrust D wheels. The "D" indicated that the back of the spokes were clearanced for disc brake calipers. I've seen two styles of 15x7 wheels, offsets probably close (not the same) to the early 15x7 R Fuchs alloys and the later 15x7 Fuchs alloys. If they were made by American Racing, the name and wheel info (size and offset) will be cast into the backside of the wheel where the large end of the spoke meets the rim. The wheels on this car use a bullet center cap and are held on by five screws that match the boss where the spoke meets the hub. An earlier style of center caps was round, a later style had a hexagonal face with a round back which matched the round hub of the wheel. Bored, yet??? Center caps are usually made of plastic and chomed, some early ones are metal. Reproductions of the center caps are available in plastic, but with a newer, updated American Racing logo (silver, mylar sticker). I haven't seen any repro Appliance stickers.
The tail light lens appear to be the standard Euro version (white back-up, red brake, yellow turn signal). There is/was a French version which was yellow-red-yellow. The back-up lens color is the same as the turn signal section (if you were tempted to color/tint yours).
Nice car. Cool if you can find out the history (racing/rally).
Is this a 1970 or 71? Or possibly a '72??? I don't remember if you mentioned the year. Is the ignition located on the dash or steering column? Can you tell us the entire vehicle identification number?? What engine number/type? Twin plug? Recaro seats?Great find!! I already wish it was mine.... That could solve any further finger-door injuries... to you, at least! Ha! Hope it heals quickly, take care.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Nevermind.

Last edited by gint; 09-19-2002 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-19-2002, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

914-6 year??

Hello Ginther,
Yeah, I'm brain-dead... I reread the post and realized he wrote that he had an EARLY 914-6... meaning that it must be a '70. Plus, he (?) was comparing his car to the flares on a PROTOTYPE GT car.
The forth number on a 914-6 VIN will be the year (914x430001). I don't think that you can tell the year only by the last three or four digits. There can be a 232 for 1970 (914 0 430232) and a 232 for 1971 (914 1 430232). Sound o.k.??
Old 09-19-2002, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: