Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

driving and fog lights - what do u suggest?

I was thinking about upgrading my driving and fog lamp lights on my 75 2.0 - any suggestions? Dont want to melt anything so tell what is a reasonable upgrade.

thanks
Old 09-17-2002, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you rwant real driving lights, get lights with the correct lenses for that. Brad Anders has some very good info on a cheap and good-fitting driving light.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-17-2002, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here's what I did. I'm not overly crazy about the look, but they do put out good light.

These are 55W driving lights. Fairly small and rectangular, and cheap ($25). Filled hole with aluminum-skinned 1/4 inch plywood. My car was already wired for the fog lights. I am using the original switch. Haven't melted anything yet.

Just another way to go.

David Pritchard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-012s.jpg (39.0 KB, 593 views)
Old 09-17-2002, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I love driving lights, but one comment is that the stock bumper mounting location on the 914 is not really optimal (too close to the ground) and makes them terribly hard to aim.

Same issue on the 911's, but not as bad. That's why the early rally/race cars had the Cibie Super-Oscars mounted up and back on the hood. Bigger lamps, and more favorable angle.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-17-2002, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

By the way...these are the killer factory way to go:

Hella 118 H3 euro driving lamps (these are chrome 911 lamps; the 914 ones are essentially identical but have black bodies).

They are quite rare and spendy though (this set is listed for $600 over in the classifieds). I have a few in the "bank" (garage).
Old 09-17-2002, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

here's some lights...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monte71-2.jpg (39.4 KB, 772 views)
Old 09-17-2002, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Yeah Derek I was actually thinking about a setup like that. They would be removable of course.

But then I realized that I will barely if ever drive this car at night, so it would be a poseur thing to spend time & money on.

This is another way to go - hang 'em out front. You can use large, modern Hellas or PIAAs going this route. Also could be easily removable.

Last edited by campbellcj; 09-17-2002 at 06:52 PM..
Old 09-17-2002, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
I agree with Chris, driving pattern lights can be hard to aim properly, but it can be done. Take a look at the beam pattern photos at my website. What I can't show you is the incredible light pattern I get on a dark, unlit road, that goes far, far, down the road. Wish I had as good a set on my M3.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

OK, one last pic (sorry to you guys on dial-up and/or everyone who's seen this pic a zillion times)

This is the crazy setup I had on my former 911 for a while. Bosch H4 mains with 80/100W bulbs; Hella H1 100W driving lamps; Hella H3 55W amber fogs. Custom Hella & Wehrle relays and wiring with factory Hella switches. All pristine new/NOS chrome and lenses.

Lit up the friggen road like daylight....highly illegal, of course, but I never got hassled (requires judicious use of the highbeams)

Old 09-17-2002, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

any 1 try theses?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1858604281

$40.00 a pair

You are bidding on a new set of H6024 Sealed Beam conversion kit
This set is complete it includes: 2 DOT approved Sealed beam conversion housings, 2 rubber covers (keep housings dry), 2 65/55 Standard Wattage Xenon H4 bulbs with and output of 90/100W.
These conversion kits look the same as your stock lamps during the day with a slight blue reflection, But at night you'll notice a significant difference that will light up the road ahead, like it never has before. Adding a whole new look to your car

----------------------------

I seen the new hella headlamp lenses out. Think they were like $45 each. At $40 for the xeon with the bulbs seems like a decent price. Or are the pia lights with the new hella lenses the way to go? Im so confused
Old 09-18-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'm sorry, Todd--I completely missed the fact that your car is a 75!! If you still have the stock RBBBs (Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers), the round lights won't fit. DOH!!

Frankly, I'm not sure exactly what fits and what does not in the rectangular openings in the later bumpers. I do still suggest trying to find actualy driving lights rather than just putting higher-powered bulbs in the fog lights, but that is also an option.

Do you know what kind of bulbs the stockers take? If they use the same bulb as the early ones (looks like a taillight bulb but bigger), Rich Johnson a914guy@aol.com sells a deceptively-simple conversion that lets you put H3 bulbs into the stock light. I have that myself; I haven't upgraded to the other lights yet.

If they are different, you may be able to get uprated bulbs for them. Or you might have luck looking through the "lights" section of your FLAPS with a measuring tape in hand.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-18-2002, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wink

Well I never! hee hee
I've owned a "bugeye" Healey Sprite for years but Derek's photo of the
"bugeye" 914's is the first I've seen!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: