Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation '74 Ignition Switch Issues / Fuel Pump Question

Hello All,

First off a big thanks to everyone who has helped in the past. The information has been priceless.

My question regarding the ignition. I read the technical article regarding ignition issues and wanted some input. My car had always turned right over when I turned the key, but has decided to reconsider each time I start it. I can rock the steering wheel left and right, then turn the key with it starting most of the time. Is this a symptom of the bad switch that needs to be replaced as mentioned in the article?

The fuel pump comes on as soon as you turn the key on. I contacted the PO and he "bent" the copper arm in the throttle body to activate the fuel pump as soon as the key is turned to the first position. Now he can't tell me exactly what he did, and I can't get the car back for him to show me as he lives almost 5 hours away. Would anyone here happen to know in a manner that can be explained what he did? When I get home today I can post a pic of the assembly if anyone could mark it with a bent this, do this but be careful response. Some of the easter eggs are getting old.

Thanks again!

Kevin
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We need more information. 1.8 or 2.0?

The Cap'n
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's a 1.8. I am sure that would help more. Thought I had that in there. Guess I pasted over it. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you'll PM me an e-mail address, I will send you a PDF of the factory L-jet troubleshooting guide. It's a large file, so use an address that will accept it.

The Cap'n
Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The pump runs as a result of the vane moving in the air flow meter, not something in the throttle switch.

The Cap'n
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks again. I'm not sure what in my head linked that vane and the throttle switch. I'll just blame it on the long week and leave it at that. Thanks again for the documentation.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: