Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 oil tank in a 914-Fabrication of a tank??

Hello,

I am installing by new 911 2.7 in my 914 this weekend and I am wondering if anyone has any expeirence with mounting a 911 or custom oil tank in the fornt trunk or even where the battery fits??

Any help would be super??

Also I am thinking of fabricating a tank that will fit nicely where the battery is currently located-tray is gone already!!

How many quarts does the tank need to be??

Could I use a remote oil filter and use some common filter such as Ford filter mounted remotely in the lines between tank and engine??

How far does the oil have to travel before I need an external oil pump??

Any idea what PSI I should look for??

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-17-2002, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is plenty of threads on this subject if you do a search
I used the Vellios Tank with Aeroquip 12an Braided lines

914/6 custom oil tank? Can i build one?
Old 09-18-2002, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On my race 914 we use a dry sump system which has the tank mounted in the right front corner of the engine compartment. The filter is an external unit mounted on the lower edge of the firewall and uses a Porsche 930 size filter. All lines are braided from Earl's as are the tank and filter mounts. Jim Patrick (Patrick Motorsports) in Phoenix mounts his oil tank and filter in the front trunk of his racing 914-6's to help balance the weight. On all the systems I've seen the tank hold about 8 qts of oil and several more in the plumbing. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

All good points.

The one missing in all this:

The tanks are all baffled internally to control the oil. Use a 911 oil tank up front (if you must) but be very careful fabbing your own tank. I know several people who have lost engines do to homemade oil tanks when they where trying to save a buck (Eva SaveAlot)

I have seen 2-3 cars with front mounted oil tanks. By the time they where done buying the lines to run 12 feet forward they could have just bougth a tank.

New Porsche 9146 OEM tanks can be bought from me for 625$ all day.

B
Old 09-18-2002, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

oil tank questions

Ron, I think Brad is right! You must have forgotten our telephone chat last weekend. PLease, just buy a 6 oil tank and the appropriate lines and be happy, quicker. You'll spend days if not weeks trying to make something work and a 911 motor hangs in the balance while you try to save a few bucks.

lews930@aol.com
Old 10-17-2002, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm actually thinking of taking my /6 tank out of the car.
Main reason is that I think the filler neck will interfere with the back-braces of the cage (from the main hoop to the rear shock towers) and I don't wanna compromise on the cage because of the tank.

I got a 911 tank last weekend, to see how it would fit the front trunk. I think it looks crappy and will probably return it.

So, that leave me with one of those dry-sump tanks that race shops sell.
How do I recognize a decently baffled tank?

Cheers,

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen; 10-17-2002 at 04:47 PM..
Old 10-17-2002, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jeroen,

All the dry sump tanks produced by big named companies will be baffled correctly.

Also.. your 9146 tank.. nobody says that it has to be filled at the neck. You can place a line over the filler and move it wherever you want. This makes it difficult to check the oil, but you wont have to buy a new tank. Of course you could sell your tank to people who want a factory6 tank and buy the aftermarket tank.

It would be much cheaper for you to keep the factory tank and do a remote fill on it. The braided line going to and from a custom front mounted tank and cooler could support several city sewer systems in Iraq.

B
Old 10-17-2002, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Changing the filler neck sounds like a good idea... Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 10-17-2002, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

$625, ick, they must've gone up (I had ~$550 stuck in my mind). Still the best option IMHO for most cars. I guess I'd better do my -6 conversion real soon before they go up again.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 10-17-2002, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
We had that one grey Six conversion that showed up to the last Roadglue breakfast. He had a tank in the stock battery location. It looked custom-fab'ed, but he said it was a prototype for someone who was (had been?) making them.

No idea if it was baffled or not.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-18-2002, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

oil tank

I just sold a custom fab tank to a gentleman from this website. It was very well done and fit in the stock battery location. It had baffles and was used for several years in a poc car. I bought the tank for $250. I'm sure that to have the tank custom made by someone that know's a thing or two about dry sump systems would cost as much if not more than the stock tank! Then there's the battery move. If your battery area is not rusted out and it's not a racer I think the stock tank is the best way to go. It's been used for 32 years sucsessfully!

lews930@aol.com
Old 10-18-2002, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: