Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuel pump issues

My 1974 914 1.8 doesn't want to start. I witnessed it running when the previous owner had the fuel pump wired directly to the battery. I plugged it back into the proper wires, replaced the fuel pump relays and the old battery, but it still wouldn't run.

I hooked the pump back up to the battery today and the car is almost starting but still not quite. I can hear the pump running and it seems to be getting fuel to the engine now, and it'll start acting like it's running but then die before it actually fires up.

Where should I be looking first? Already checked the fuses and they seem okay. There are a couple wires that aren't hooked up to anything--a green one that comes out of the harness right next to the black and brown ones that I believe are for the fuel pump, and a white one that looks like it's a ground to the engine block and has a plastic rectangular housing on the other end.
Gone: Minerva Blue 1979 928 -- Gray 1985.5 944 -- Black 1989 944 -- Black 1984 944 -- Black 1987 944S -- Alaska Blue 1974 914 1.8 -- Guards Red 1983 944 -- Guards Red 1987 924S -- White 1988 924S -- Maraschino Red 1987 944 Turbo -- Beige 1981 924 -- Red 1984 944
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look for vacuum leaks. One of the most common is the failure of one or both of the oil filler cap seals. Basically, the car won't run without both of them being present and in good condition.

The Cap'n
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
fuel pump

wiring or mechanical/hoses?
relays, fuel supply and return correct to the engine, no kinks in hoses to prevent flow (had this happen too).
fuel tank known to deliver past the screens at bottom?

first one i would try is the hoses being kinked under the tank (if it has been out) or at the pump on re-install.
pull fuel pump outlet hose and run to bucket, turn it over----good flow or not---go from there.
Gary
Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 1.8's fuel pump is controlled by the "dual relay" hanging off the battery tray. Not by any of the relays on the relay board. In fact, the 1.8 will run just fine without any of the latter relays present at all!

Are you getting fuel? Can you smell fuel at the tailpipe after cranking for a while? You can also remove the injectors from the manifold on one side and stick them into jars. Crank the starter and see if any fuel winds up in the jars.

Are you getting spark? Hook an extra spark plug up to one of the plug wires and tape it with the outer electrode or the threaded part touching a ground like the crankcase. Crank the starter and look for spark on the plug.

If you're getting both, then either you've got bad compression or the spark timing is way way off, or you're getting too much or too little fuel.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: