Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking Tire BRANDS (not size!)

No, not what size! What brands do youz use? Is it worth it to order them from someplace like tirerack.com? Costco has some Bridgestone Potenza's 195/60/15's for like $81.00. What brands are you using, what do you like (all season, sport...)?
Old 09-18-2002, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I recently got a set of the Sumitomo HTR Zs. I think they're max performance tires, and they're z rated. The size is 195 50 15. I paid 55 each, I think, and I'm really happy with them. The cornering is awesome, especially once they warm up. They can be a bit loose when they're cold, and they are not quiet. (my car's so loud I can't hear 'em anyway...) They also look pretty nice and seem to be wearing well. I know the Bridgestone s0-3 pole position is a killer tire too, but I've driven on some of the cheaper Bridgestones and found them to be not very good. Tire rack usually has good prices; I've orderd from them several times and have been happy with the results.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I just changed over to some Dunlop SP Sport A2's (in 205/60-15's) and they have a nice ride.

I'm not a slave to any particular brand; I just do some research when it comes time for replacements.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

what about these?

Just curious. I think I might cjeck out the Dunlops Rouser is using.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=96HR5ES100
Old 09-18-2002, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've always gotten good service out of Pirelli's or Dunlop tires, well worth the money!

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 09-18-2002, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Picked up some Nitto's 205/50/15's from America's Tire. Found them to be the same price as Tire Rack but with free mounting & balancing. Really like the stickyness of them. The directional pattern kinda grabs at the grooves in the road when changing lanes, not bad but you know when you cross one.
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-18-2002, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have Kumho 712's on three of my cars: 911 C2, Volvo S70 T5 and of course on the 914.....I got no discount on the tires, i just think for the money they are pretty decent.

The Volvo has seen one track day with these tires and they held up very well for a 3000+ pound car.

I've read and heard that some of the Falkens and Hancook tires are starting to make a name for themselves as well in the market
for "cheap" street performance tires.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Mike, either yer typing too fast or really got into that new show last night with all the implied sex! ("Fast Lane")
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 09-19-2002, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
DAily driver 914 had Pirelli P6000 and I loved them. Autocross and DE car has Yokohama AO32R which is a semi-race tire. so far so good.

Here is the trick to picking the right tire. Do your research on tirerack.com. Read their user comments for the tire you want. Look up from their website who will mount them in your area. Then call them directly and ask them to match or beat the price. They will. then find out how much all the mounting and balancing and stems are going to cost.

One last thing. Ask to see the manufacture date on the tires. tirerack will make sure the send you newer stock, and match the manufacture dates if you ask them. I had a terrible problem with tires once that turned out to be caused by one tire being a year older than the other three.

A Bridgestone rep told me that is really common when you get tires at costco or K-Mart. They are old stock tires, and may have problems from sitting in a hot ware house for a year.

Ideally, you want you tires to have been made in the last three months, and all made within 2 weeks of each other.

And your tire dealer has all that info.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Have found the Yokohama's to really work well on my car. Been through three sets, A509's, A008's, etc. Great performance, yet quiet. Haven't tried their newer offerings but would definetly go back to the brand considering past experience.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A couple of my 911 friends are raving about the Yokohama AVS Intermediate because tirerack is blowing them. I think they are $46 each for 206-60-15.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have Yoko AVS Intermediates 205/60-15s which were bought several years ago. I have been happy with them. They were priced lower than most big-name performance tires when I bought them. I have also seen the current prices in Tire Rack adds. About half the price I paid. Oh well. So it goes.

By the way I have also had Yoko A008's. I'd buy Yokos again.

Mike
Old 09-19-2002, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I got some Yoko Avid H4's. 4 tires+shipping cost $229. Not bad in my book. There is a place a few blocks away from my house that does tires for $15 each
Old 09-19-2002, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Are 205's a sure fit under a stock 914 with Fuchs? Or is it going to be hit or miss. I currently have 195/60-15's on the car and there is not much room, on the inside, for bigger tires!
Old 09-19-2002, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It's hit and miss.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Anthony, did you forget a word, or has Tirerack come up with a really personal marketing campaign?
Seriously though, I talked a friend into a set of Yoko AVS Intermediates for his TR-6 and he's quite impressed, and a (certified/licensed) racer here also had good things to say about them. I'd have a set on the way but first I have to refill the "Reservoir of Goodwill" at home before spending more on the 914. I run Yoko AVS dBs on my 535i and think the quality of their products is quite good.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

out!!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

I had a set of Yoko A509s (which is what the AVS Intermediate became. Same everything except the outer run of tread now have little holes.) I loved them, quite sticky, didn't last as long as I wanted them to. I'd consider them again over the Michelin Pilot SX-GTs I have currently. The Michelins seem to have longer tread life, are a bit "harder" than I was expecting, not quite the stickum of the Yokos. My car is loud enough that tire noise is never a consideration for me.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The A509 disappeared a good while ago. I had them on my first 914 and liked them a fair bit. I really liked the AVS-i, though. I felt that it had very noticeably better grip than the A509s, but did not last as long.

I then tried the Dunlop SP-8000 and liked them a little bit better!! But those are gone now.... I'm gonna try the Azenis next, I think. Sounds like a good street tire to me!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-20-2002, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

chris, being a fellow slug i would slugjest yokos' as301's. they work well in our climate ( for those who have never lived here, if you don't like the weather don't worry it will change shortly) they handle the rivers of water in the ruts of i-5 great. i think i paid about $20 per tire less at discount tire. and you don't have to go through the costco hassle if you should ever get a flat, the fix is free,and they have stores all over the place.

kevin
Old 09-20-2002, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: